InorganicMatter
[H]F Junkie
- Joined
- Oct 19, 2004
- Messages
- 15,461
We are running Windows Small Business Server 2008. I needed to run a Ruby on Rails application, so I created a virtual machine with Hyper-V installed Ubuntu+Apache+MySQL+mod_rails. Works great! 
My question: how do I back it up? Should I just back up the entire .VHD hard disk file? Or should I install backup software inside the virtual system and back up the files themselves? Obviously, just grabbing the .VHD file is easiest, but can I do a bare metal restore with that? Would it be better to install something like Bacula and backup my the MySQL database for real?
My question: how do I back it up? Should I just back up the entire .VHD hard disk file? Or should I install backup software inside the virtual system and back up the files themselves? Obviously, just grabbing the .VHD file is easiest, but can I do a bare metal restore with that? Would it be better to install something like Bacula and backup my the MySQL database for real?