• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How shock-prof is an iPod mini?

ozzu

n00b
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
37
I'm thinking about replacing my 512mb flash memory mp3 player with a 4gb iPod mini.
This thing has a micro-drive inside right, how prone are these devices to damage?
Could it handle a fall from a table for example?
 
I cant comment on minis specifically, but ive dropped my zen touch from waist height to a concrete floor (spammed up getting it out of its pouch) and it didnt even skip.
 
I use to fix them for BB. They get returned mostly for the hdd, battery, headphone jack...in order of most often.
 
ozzu said:
I'm thinking about replacing my 512mb flash memory mp3 player with a 4gb iPod mini.
This thing has a micro-drive inside right, how prone are these devices to damage?
Could it handle a fall from a table for example?
My brother's Zen Micro withstood a pretty steep drop (4+ feet). Really though, don't worry about it. Get it from Best Buy and pay for the extended warranty. Problem solved.
 
sac_tagg said:
My brother's Zen Micro withstood a pretty steep drop (4+ feet). Really though, don't worry about it. Get it from Best Buy and pay for the extended warranty. Problem solved.


Just don't crack the screen or get liquid in it. ;)
 
I've got an iPod Mini, and the thing seems pretty durable. (I'm not going to test it, though.) I can't recall really banging it around, but I've probably bounced it off of a table or something.

I do make sure to keep it on the opposite side when bowling, though. A 14 lb. polyurethane ball would probably do some damage.

Either way, the iPod Mini is a nice purchase if your music library is small or you just don't need the whole thing at any one time. If you're worried about breaking it, just get a warranty from whereever you buy it, or you can splurge for AppleCare. The plan at Best Buy, though, does seem to be pretty thorough.
 
While the iPod and mini may be farely good at dealing with shock, the hard drive is prone to fail with a head crash. In other words, they aint no flash players
 
The Zen Micro says that it is not advisable to jog with it. Both the iPod mini and the Zen Micro use micro-drive tech, so the same should apply to the iPod mini.

Nevertheless I jog pretty regularly with it, but I have it on an armpad high up on my arm so there isn't much jostling, just steady swaying.

Zen Micro goes for 175 last I saw on www.zipzoomfly.com. Beats the mini in every feature category except it ties in dimensions, and loses in weight. (The new 8gb minis will beat the micro in space when they come out though). Previously, I'd be cautious about recommending the zen micro, but with the new firmware released recently, all the problems it once had are gone.
 
I have dropped my mini twice (it is in a jogging style case) and had no issues. Also, until I got headphones with a longer cord, I pulled it off my desk 10 or 12 times. Ok, so I am a slow learner :D
 
I drop my Zen Micro all the time from about 4-5 feet up...onto tiled floor, carpet, concrete...still holding up fine. I also go jogging with it regularly. I don't use an armband or anything...just hold it in my hand. So, if you're looking for something durable, the Zen Micro's calling your name.
 
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I once dropped it (while on) into a cup of water until it was fully submerged. It was in there for about 1 second before I took it out and tried to turn it off. Didn't work, so I pulled the battery. I set it all on my heater, and the next day, it started up perfectly.
 
i've dropped my mini from shoulder high a few times on pavement. still working only very small cosmetic damage.
 
Eric1285 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I once dropped it (while on) into a cup of water until it was fully submerged. It was in there for about 1 second before I took it out and tried to turn it off. Didn't work, so I pulled the battery. I set it all on my heater, and the next day, it started up perfectly.


Errm, why?
 
Back
Top