How quiet are SG05s?

Kuyt

Gawd
I'm interested in SFF but I'm worried about the acoustics. How are the temps too?

And also, whats the best CPU cooler you can fit in one of them. I don't think a tower cooler can fit, right?

SG05 isn't that bad... its not a P182 or something but its fairly quiet.

The downside is your really limited to PSUs. Luckily the stock one isn't that bad. Its not silent but when idle is pretty quiet. Its 3am right now and I can hear air turbulance from PSU but I'd still say its pretty quiet. During the day its harder to hear it as it doesn't take much to mask the sound. When the system is loaded the PSU fan does spin up and is no longer quiet. Its not loud, at least mine never gets to that point, but you'll definitely hear it. Though likely your GFX card or whatever will be making more noise by that point.

I've got an SSD in mine so thats no an issue for me.

I've got a GeminII which is pretty big but its probably not hte best HS for the case. Not sure what is.

If you want a quiet system SG05 isn't that bad a choice. FYI I've also got a SG03 and its much better for building a quiet system. You can use any PSU and are able to use two 120mm fans rather than 1.

There's no reason why it couldn't be near silent. Swap out the stock fan for an S-Flex, add a fan to the side blowing across the CPU and chipset, drop the speed on both of those down. Replace the PSU fan with something quieter and possibly the GPU cooler depending on what it is. The HDD should be pretty simple to silence, an SSD or a 2.5" drive in one of those silencing enclosures mounted in the 3.5" slot would take care of that.

Out of the box i'd say the stock 120mm fan is loud. The PSU fan is fine though, barely makes a noise!

is the PSU fan easy to swap? does it have a standard 3 pin connector? would be awesome, although i didn't hear anything bad about it yet, just in case.

I bought this case because it looks to have the best thermal profile for mini-ITX. It's an excelent comprimise when you take all things into account. A common way to break this down would be to say, Small size, good cooling, and low noise; you can only pick two.

Here's a good thread about fitting heatsinks into this case: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414331

I bought this case because it looks to have the best thermal profile for mini-ITX. It's an excelent comprimise when you take all things into account. A common way to break this down would be to say, Small size, good cooling, and low noise; you can only pick two.

Here's a good thread about fitting heatsinks into this case: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414331

GeminII is the best quiet CPU cooler for SG05.

But WD Raptor is very loud.

I think I need a AV-GP for data.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=592

and a SSD for system.

I swapped out the standard 120mm fan in the SG05, as well as adding a heatsink from an HP computer. I connected both fans to the MB, and tuned them down a bit in BIOS. Fairly quiet, and doesn't impact temps much. Only time it gets noisy is in games, but I cant hear the PC at that point because I'm focused on the game, and it's usually loud. The PSU never revs up too much, and it's usually my graphics card causing the noise issue.

Back