• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how powerfull is nVIDIA GeForce FX5200

jf1288

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
383
I found one for really cheap, but im confused because most of the other fx cards are really expensive. Is this a slow card or what is missing? Can it run HL2 with decent fps?
 
thats about the slowest of the fx cards, is not very good, thats why its cheap
 
it will barely be able to run HL2 if it all, its one of the worst cards ever made, go for a FX5700U/9600Pro or better.
 
nVidia got the design specs for the 5200 from the devil himself. I think geforce2's are even faster :eek:. On a serious note though, it depends on how cheap you are getting this. If it's below $40 then it wouldn't be so bad (though you should really try to find something better, as like the others noted, I doubt this card can run todays games much less hl2 well :p).

If it's over $40, then I would say no and tell ya to pickup maybe one of those 9550's (128-bit memory configuration version) or a used GF3 or GF4. You can get refurbished GF3/4's at newegg for pretty cheap.
 
nah, it's actually faster than an mx440.
But it's not worth more than $30.
 
Very slow card, if you want a descent card thats really cheap, the bare minimum id use would be a 9800xt/ or a Geforce fx5950..
 
it will run any game. it just wont do 1600x1200 at max details, everyone around here thinks you have to have a $500 dollar card, or its not worth a damn.
 
It's absolutely horrible. With my AthlonXP 2800+ and 1 gb ram, it could barely play KOTOR at decent resolutions (ie higher than 800x600), and far cry was damn near impossible.

I bought a 9800Pro for $200 and now I'm happy :)


No, you don't need a $500 card, but that doesn't mean that the 5200 is even a decent piece of hardware for modern games.
 
Someone told me that the FX 5200 was basically a geforce 2 with a geforce 4 memory controller.... the way it performs id say so.. Basically if all graphics cards were in a big graphics card prison, the fx 5200 would be everyones bitch...
 
I wouldn't exactly call $200 cheap... at least with my money it's not. (Yes, I bought one but that's beside the point :p ) Others may be different. If you're looking for somthing "cheap", try out a Ti4x00... My dad has one in a 1 Ghz athlon and gets pretty decent rates on recent games (NFSU, Call of duty, Raven Sheild, FS2004).
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-031&DEPA=1

If you're concerned about HL2, then 9800Pro would probably be the minimum for good resolutions and framerates.

Good luck.
 
thanks, im so confused by nvidias naming system. I wish they had something like ati's. I dont keep up with video cards at all, but i need to pick one to buy for under 300 (preferably under 200) that would still run hl2 @ at least 1024x768. Any suggestions? i heard 9800xt, but i dont know how much it is. I would probably like to get an ati, but if someone strongly recommends an nvidia and says why id prolly get that.

Thanks for all the help,
J
 
yup, go for the 9800pro, i was gonna get the x800xt but i couldnt for cash reasons, so i got the 9800pro, im pretty happy with it :D
 
Since it seems like Half Life 2 is what you're gunning for, why don't you just wait until it's released and we can all finally see how it performs on different cards?

Plus, FX5200 will be a crap decision if you buy it for HL2. You'd be buying another vid card by the time it came out.
 
9800pro is an awesome card for the price....also IMHO most of ATIs cards perform better for cheaper unless your going into brand new cards like 6800 and x800s....the 6800gt is arguably a better card than the same priced x800pro
 
Ok i was way off on my above post, seems prices were higher than i thought... the 9800 pro is nice, here is a link to one of the best... click here
 
my c0mm0dore 64 had more juice than a 5200FX. although it has very good s-video output for my Media Center 2004 PVR.
 
I reckon the 5200 isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, I mean I'm stuck with my radeon 7200 right now and I'm pretty sure it could outperform it. And my 7200 runs Far cry at 800 x 600 with decent fps. The only problem is that the water is bright green/purple and looks like one massive pool of artifacing :/ But if you do want to run HL2 I'd also go with a Radeon 9800
 
Very honestly DO NOT GET A FX5200 :eek: At the very least if you are looking for a budget card go either a 9600Radeon or FX5700 the 5200 would have trouble running pinball @ 800x600 :p
 
I had a BFG Tech 256 MB Asylum FX 5200, and it ran well. It even ran FarCry at 800x600 with everything on High, even shadows. If you want to spend 200 dollars, go to www.newegg.com and find the 128 MB 9800 Pro. $225. Then go to the search bar at the top of the newegg page and search VGA silencer. Buy one of those for 15 dollars, put the VGA silencer on your 9800 Pro, and you have a VERY nice video card. :D

Linky:

128 MB 9800 Pro

VGA Silencer
 
Teitoku said:
nah, it's actually faster than an mx440.
But it's not worth more than $30.

For DX8 games only. The MX440 is faster at DX7.
 
Nauseous said:
it will run any game. it just wont do 1600x1200 at max details, everyone around here thinks you have to have a $500 dollar card, or its not worth a damn.

640x480 isn't running...
 
And yeah.... not a lot of us have $500 graphics cards but when you cant beat a Ti4200, the great midrange of 2 full generations ago, it's a deservedly tough sell in an enthusiast forum. Im assuming if you are looking at a FX5200 you are hurting for a VC right now. So yeah, HL2 isnt out yet, but it's hard to go wrong with a 9800pro for about $200. Get the best card for your money when you need one has been my philosophy. I buy VC's to play computer games.... not a computer game.

In short, the title of this thread, made me giggle. How "powerful" is an FX5200 is like an oxymoron... or something.
 
I think the best value is the 6800, if you can afford it. eVGA is offering the 6800 standard for $299 with a free copy of FarCry. It will take to town the 9800PRO and 9800XT, plus it has more features than both of those cards, too, including Shader Model 3.0 and FP16 blending for HDR Lighting. A consideration if you can spend an extra $60-80.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=128-A8-N343-AX

Here are some Half Life 2 benchmarks. Check out how the 6800 (dark green bar) stacks up to the competition. Note that the 9800XT is significantly faster than the 9800PRO and it still gets beaten by a significant amount.

hl2b1.png


hl2b2.png


For the extra $60-70, the 6800 standard is definitely worth it.
 
Nauseous said:
it will run any game. it just wont do 1600x1200 at max details, everyone around here thinks you have to have a $500 dollar card, or its not worth a damn.
Yeah, it works OK for many games. I ran one in my main system for 2 weeks temporarily while waiting for a new card. I wouldn't say it runs all games though. Some are just too choppy, like Halo in DX9 mode. Everything else ran fine at 800x600 or 1024x768.

-----------------
jf1288:
Despite what other people say, there are cards that do run worse: like the Radeon 7000 series, GF2 (any model), SDR GF4 MX440 and Radeon 9200se. Even the Radeon 9600se runs slower in several games.

However if the card is really cheap, be sure that it's not one of the 64-bit memory interface models. For example, all 64MB 5200s are 64-bit models and some 128MB 5200s are also have 64-bit memory interfaces.
 
ReNeGaDe* said:
I reckon the 5200 isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, I mean I'm stuck with my radeon 7200 right now and I'm pretty sure it could outperform it. And my 7200 runs Far cry at 800 x 600 with decent fps. The only problem is that the water is bright green/purple and looks like one massive pool of artifacing :/ But if you do want to run HL2 I'd also go with a Radeon 9800

7200 > 5200.

GF4 MX > 5200.
 
Back
Top