How powerful of a UPS does my system require?

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to determine what VA rating and Wattage I would need for a battery backup unit.

My system specs are as follows:
i5-2500k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.32v
4x2GB DDR3 RAM @ 1.65v
SSD
2x 7200RPM HDD
Geforce GTX 660
Sata DVD burner
Corsair 550W PSU
5x 120mm case fans

If you could recommend a brand or model as well I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

easiest way to tell is to use something like a kill-a-watt and measure watts at the wall with a monitor plugged in.

PSU online calculators will do an okay just but over estimate watt used

is your corsair PSU 80% gold, silver, bronze or not rated?

Also how long do you want/need to run off battery?

I'm trying to determine what VA rating and Wattage I would need for a battery backup unit.
My system specs are as follows:
i5-2500k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.32v
4x2GB DDR3 RAM @ 1.65v
SSD
2x 7200RPM HDD
Geforce GTX 660
Sata DVD burner
Corsair 550W PSU
5x 120mm case fans
If you could recommend a brand or model as well I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Generally speaking, the safest way when you buy UPS, is to buy a model that can provide at least the maximum wattage of your PSU, -550 watt in your case-.
Personally, i prefer either Cyberpower or APC UPSs.
If you are interested for the best protection from electrical spikes/anomalies, i think you will find usefull a mail i have sent to Cyberpower and their response:

Hello.
I want you to reccomend me the best from the following UPS, according protection from electrical spikes and other possible electrical anomalies.
1) http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups_systems/pfc-sinewave/cp1300epfclcd.htm
2) http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups_systems/intelligent/cp1350eavrlcd.htm
3) http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups_systems/pr/pr1500elcd.htm
4) http://eu.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups_systems/ols/ols1000exl.htm
Also, can you rank these 4 UPS, with the same criteria, from 1 to 4, which one provides the best protection from electrical anomalies? (1 - the best protection- to 4 -worst protection- ) Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,
I hope you are fine and happy and many thanks for your email inquiry.
I will have to say that in principle online UPS systems provide the best possible power regulation as they can achieve a constant power output.
As such, the OLS1000E is the #1 choice using the critecria you mentioned. By the way, there is no XL model stocked in Europe.
However, there are drawbacks in comparison to the Line Interactive technologies that the other UPS systems you selected are based... For example, higher power consumtion and higher noise level as fans run continously.
Second choice (or first depending on how you look at it), is the PR1500ELCD. This is a GREAT system with low power consumption (less than 10W), great business features, ergonomics, easy battery service, low noise level (fans work only in some cases), etc. However this is Line Interactive technology, meaning at least a +/-5% variance in power regulation. Filtering is great on all models. An alternative to this model with the best price/performance is the PR1000ELCD. A great choice!
Third comes the CP1300EPFCLCD. A nice SOHO system with USB chargers, pure sinewave output, low power consumption (less that 5W), very low noise, but +/-7% on power output regulation as variance. Also can not buck the high currents.
Last is the CP1350... Similar to the CP1300EPFCLCD, but simulated sinewave output, and no USB chargers. This model actually is no longer stocked in Europe.
Again many thanks for your inquiry and always at your service.
Very Kind Regards,

you could get the smallest battery backup and have about 5 mins to shut down your comptuer or u can get a big one and have about 1 hour to turn the computer off. Up to u on how much time you need. For reference I have a 1500 battery back-up gives me about 15 mins to shut down, but i never had to use it. Ever for almost 6 years of having it. So its all personally on what u want.

Back when I was a hardcore raider on WoW I remember filling out guild apps noting I had 15 minutes of UPS power for my computer and modem/router in case of outtages.

My APC 1400XL tells me that I currently have 76 minutes of battery power at the current load. That is with 2 PCs running + Monitor + kvm switch + cable modem + router + HDHR prime. And I was considering adding an additional external 24V battery pack since I just had to replace the batteries..

Last edited:
I have a CP1000PFCLCD and it has worked well for a few years. Interfaces well with the native Win7 power options to select battery level to auto shutdown. Which has worked in actual power outages.

Don't forget to add in any monitors you will have on the UPS if you don't set the system up for auto shutdown.

I second Adidas4275's suggestion of getting a kill-a-watt and taking measurement of your system's actual power usage while everything is fully active. Gaming + file xfers + a couple of folding sessions ought to do it.

The bigger the better. :p

I have a SUA2200RMXL3U

UPS_zps9b75765c.png

That with my network equipment, gaming pc, server and laptop on.

I have a 1300VA UPS that runs my htpc and main rig.
it's more than plenty.

easiest way to tell is to use something like a kill-a-watt and measure watts at the wall with a monitor plugged in.

PSU online calculators will do an okay just but over estimate watt used

is your corsair PSU 80% gold, silver, bronze or not rated?

Also how long do you want/need to run off battery?
PSU is 80 PLUS Certified. I think it's before they started using bronze, silver and gold. You can check the specs here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vx550w

As for battery time, I just need enough time to save data and shut it down safely.

Back