How overclockable is a 3770 non-K?

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, I have an i7 3770 non-k on a H77 architecture. Is it work me upgrading to z77 to overclock my CPU?

Thanks
Astralogic

Hi, I have an i7 3770 non-k on a H77 architecture. Is it work me upgrading to z77 to overclock my CPU?

Thanks
Astralogic

Not at all.

You may get a few extra mhz bumping up the bclk, but that may de-stabilize the rest of your box.

Ivy bridge still support the +4 free bins turbo overclock ability. So you max 3.8ghz will go up to 4.2ghz on single core apps, and 4.0ghz under full load.. Also you may add a 0.3% overclock to the bclk for a total of 103mhz without make your system unstable or causing any issue at all, thats another free 100mhz. So you could reach a humble 4.1ghz under full load wich are a really good bump in performance but thats only in turbo mode, so thats may increase a bit the load voltage more than using a K chip. So you will have to use fixed voltage or negative offset to compensate the load voltage and avoid temp issues.

Chip will likely get to around 4.15ghz with +4 bins and BCLK. You should still be able to do it on an H-series board as it is based on the Intel Turbo Boost not an unlocked multi overclock. Depending on the board it may or may not drop down with load on more cores, some (Asus) have a much more aggressive turbo strategy.

Should've gotten a k series if you were going to overclock.

and most people with a K serie, just overclock to 4.2 generally(specially on haswell).. the 4.5-5.0ghz are a thing from the past with the 2600k-2700K.... also K chips not support vPRO and VT-d (for people who care about it:rolleyes: ) most people that want a mild OC use non K.

I miss my oldie 2700K at 5.1GHZ and my [email protected]. but my actual (temporal) 2600nonK made a good job.. :)

Back