How old is too old?web browsing

wtourist

[H]ard|Gawd
I have some old video cards, like gtx9800, hd 4670, hd 4850, some a little newer.
Are these usable for web browsing video streaming computers.
Or are low cost newer cards a better idea.

Any of those are fine although newer cards will probably have lower TDP and noise due to various revisions over the years. Assuming the cards have decent aftermarket heatsinks, the noise shouldn't be too noticeable; the heat shouldn't be noticeable either. The only big difference would be the power consumption between one of those listed and a newer low-spec card which still wouldn't be all too ridiculous considering web browsing would barely push them.

Those cards are good for web browsing. All support hardware acceleration when browsing and viewing HD videos with flash and all that. Don't need a power house video card to view youtube or surf ;)

I have an 8800GT running on a socket 775 (e8400) with windows 8.1 32bit and it runs everything great at 1080p as my 12 year old gives it a great work out with all her little internet games and Netflix movies.

I have some old video cards, like gtx9800, hd 4670, hd 4850, some a little newer.

All of those would be overkill for simple web browsing, video streaming, etc. Those cards are fast enough you could even play most DX11 games with low-medium settings. I have an 8500GT in my HTPC and even that is still fast enough to provide hardware acceleration when I watch an x264 movie in 1080P.

Integrated video would probably be your best bet if it is an option. In computers where you actually need a PCIE videocard and it's only going to see office style use, even something like an old Radeon X300 should work great, and you can get those for ~$5 shipped on ebay.

I'd argue a GMA950 can still viably browse the web these days, if the rest of the PC is up to spec. Of those I'd pick the HD4670 due to the lowest idle power consumption (I think).

Assuming the PC has it fitted. If this is an older Core 2 PC with a P35 or something, it might not have it.

Use integrated GPU unless your PC is very old or you don't have one, in that case use the lowest powered card out of these (HD4670).

They're all fine for web browsing in terms of how capable they are. The 4670 is the weakest of the three, but probably the best option to use for simple web browsing thanks to lower power consumption. Integrated is also an option if we're talking about a decent APU or HD2000 or better intel IGP

Those three cards are fine.
If your running older single core computers you will have a problem with streaming high definition video no matter what video card you have though. Hd video will stutter on older single core cpu.

Thank you all Just worried about compatibility and drivers.
Putting together an upgrade for neighbor, 72 and losing his sight. His old Dell is no longer adequate. Something is slowing the Dell way down It is 775 motherboard dual core E6300, 2 GB RAM, IDE HDD. Vista. Norton 360.

Trying to replace/upgrade using as many parts I already have as possible.

The 'something' slowing it down is probably Vista and Norton 360 - I'd suggest fresh installing Windows 7 and something like MS Security Essentials and see how you fare with that. Having 4GB RAM would be preferable but I concede injecting too much finance into a 7 or 8 year old PC is unwise.

All good cards for internet browsing, Netflix and youtube for 1080p stuff. All have h264 support as well. All good for any desktop stuff you might do.

Thank you all Just worried about compatibility and drivers.
Putting together an upgrade for neighbor, 72 and losing his sight. His old Dell is no longer adequate. Something is slowing the Dell way down It is 775 motherboard dual core E6300, 2 GB RAM, IDE HDD. Vista. Norton 360.

Trying to replace/upgrade using as many parts I already have as possible.

1. What model Dell? I highly doubt its using both a 775 e6300 and an IDE drive.
2. Consider having him get an SSD and RAM.
3. Reinstall the OS.
4. Get a larger monitor or if he has an LCD TV 28-39" in size, try setting that up as the monitor.

That poor little Core 2 Duo E6300. It has dual core muscles, but unfortunately for it, a 72 year old user. Now both cores are processing malware instead of just one.

I've got a e6600 + 4GB RAM powering a 1080p TV with a Nvidia 6800GT inside. Windows 7 x64. Powerful enough to run Dark Souls 2 at playable (almost 60fps sustained, maxed settings) framerate when I toss a AMD 5870 inside.

My father can't read without the firefox Zoom feature but a 46" TV helps him relax while using a wireless setup. Firefox and movies play just fine on a 6800GT. This setup also works even during a 90 degree day (swamplike humidity) without overheating.

Last edited:
Back