how often do you maintain your comp?

My computer automatically fscks after 28 boots(which takes a while to get there considering I only have to boot my computer whenever I take it home or take it back up to school). I emerge sync every couple days and update whatever needs updating. Not much else though. Not any slower than the day I installed it.

lol, i tried adaware before and didnt like it much. not technically free (subscription bullshit) but im sure i can find an easy way round that ;)

only found two bits of spyware one of which was powerstrip so thats obviously not as bad as my registry was

Okay, so reading this thread motivated me to do some maintenance on my computer. I'd say it's about 9 months old.

Anyway, I did Disk Cleanup, downloaded Diskeeper 8 (havent run it yet), and I just ran RegCleaner in Extra Deep mode...

it found 1038 invalid items. :eek:

9 months, not too bad. The trick is to keep it as clean right when you get the computer. That way, you don't accumulate all of these nonsense reg crap and file leftovers.

But doesn't it feel fresh after deleting all of those junky files that you do not need anymore??

Fr33ze - Webroots is a much better program compared to Ad Aware right?

Wow... I'm lazy.. I just don't do anything until it feels really slow, then I just reformat.

Diskcleanup=Everyday
Defrag=After installing something and ever week
Ad-ware + Spyware S&D=Every Day
Norton AntiVirus(full system sacn)=Every Day
Scan Disk=Every Week

Computer runs like a dream and I only reformat when some thing goes so wrong I cant fix it (like that ever happens with my skills :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Chelica
Fr33ze - Webroots is a much better program compared to Ad Aware right?

yeah definately, it gets my vote hands down. gives you so much more control and i really like the way it provides information on every bit of spyware it finds so you can decide if you want it or not.

O&O Stealth Defrag whenever computer in use

Everynight @ 2400
O&O Complete Space Defrag
O&O Complete /Name Defrag
O&O Space Defrag
Ad-Aware 6 Pro and update
Spybot and update
Update Virus definitions
Clean Temp Files and Prefetch files (not always the latter though)
Virus Scan happens in Real Time
TDS-3 Trojan Scan

Every week
Cookies Clean
Compress Whatever needs to be and hasn't
Evaluate names of files and retype them if they aren't in Proper case and should be :)
Update Drives and apply patches

Then I sit back and bask in the stableness and speed of the system.

Originally posted by Stinger836
O&O Stealth Defrag whenever computer in use

Everynight @ 2400
O&O Complete Space Defrag
O&O Complete /Name Defrag
O&O Space Defrag
Ad-Aware 6 Pro and update
Spybot and update
Update Virus definitions
Clean Temp Files and Prefetch files (not always the latter though)
Virus Scan happens in Real Time
TDS-3 Trojan Scan

Every week
Cookies Clean
Compress Whatever needs to be and hasn't
Evaluate names of files and retype them if they aren't in Proper case and should be :)
Update Drives and apply patches

Then I sit back and bask in the stableness and speed of the system.

you really do make me feel like the slacker that i am

lol, whenever Im not doing something I love to just run some maintenance app its like they're calling me...

AVG Antivirus runs all the time, and does a full scan once a day, at 6 am.

Mozilla Firebird "paranoia" every time I close it.

I run Spybot S&D and AdAware at least once a week, gotta keep spyaware free.

Disk cleanup at least once a week.

Diskeeper defrag at least once a week.

jv16 to clean the registry at least once a week.

I physically clean my monitors, mouse, and keyboard at least once a week as well... and kill the dust bunnies with compressed air every couple of weeks or so.

Oh yeah, I haven't reformatted in about 6 months or so. I'm running XP Pro and everything is still snappy and minty fresh.

Time for me to learn: What are registries, and with that why clear them?

A checklist:

Registry: Regcleaner
Spyware: Spybot/Webroots
Defrag: Diskkeeper? Is this a freeware?

Disk cleanup: What to use for this? What is disk cleanup? Is it similar to scan disk, and when should I use scan disk?

How much of this would be covered by a software bundle like Norton Systemworks?

Last thing: monitor cleaning. Said a dozen times, but I can never remember. How do I clean up my CRT?

i know i should but i'm always either using my computer or forget to set it while i'm out, or sleeping (i always turn it off)

in windows, theres this thing called services or scheduled tasks...double click add a task and follow the instructions and set it up so it runs wutever programs (defrag, anti-virus, spyware removal, etc) u want and set the time too so it can run every day, week, month, etc

its really cool, i hav spybot search and destroy running everyweek and i dont hav to do anything

Once a week: clean internet cache, spyware check (using Ad-Aware basic and Spybot), virus scan (using Norton Antivirus)

Once a month: defrag my drives, clean keyboard, mouse, and inside of case (fans, heatsink, etc.)

I used to reformat my drives every 3-4 months, but I've only done it once since using Windows XP (bought a new main HDD). But after seeing some of these other posts, it seems like I'm not doing enough... *sighs*

defrag= when i get 20% free on my c drive ( :D no point unless u got 25% clean cuz diskeeper is gay) But on my dads sata drive i do it every time i boot and before i turn it off, sata is soooo fast :-(

Spyware= Every 2 weeks

Dusting= Every other day hehehe seriously thou i do

Format= every other month (unless i am careful then like every 3 months!)

i do alot of tinkering so that doesnt help with that, i try alot of new stuff too... the new long horn i dont like, XP for 2007!

shit, i can't remember when I last defragged. Its been at least a few months. Whats the point of doing it so often?

Originally posted by Bugalaman
shit, i can't remember when I last defragged. Its been at least a few months. Whats the point of doing it so often?

Programs respond faster, drive access is quicker, etc.

I keep seperate partitions for user, programs, os, swap and media

I defrag once every 3 months. There is no need for more and it just stresses the HD.

AV scan? once every 5 months i'll do a full av scan, other then that I do a quick check on things I download from sources I dont trust.

Disk cleanup? Not really, I keep things very organized as it is.

Spyware? Monthly. I dont get much of anything.

Dusting? Monthly. Good filters dont allow dust in.

Format? Once a year, Once every major Hardware update. IE Motherboard. Or if im replacing the OS hard-drive OR two+ major pci/agp cards, (IE Vid, Sound, Tv tuner)

There are plenty of good reasons to defrag more often. If you do, it doesn't have to do much so you don't put much stress on the drives (most things are defraged already) and it definately keeps what you have added working well. That way, at the end of those 3 months, you aren't at a crawl.

Okay, hypothetically....lets say every weekend I defrag, virus scan, spybot, disk cleanup, cookies, scandisk.....all that.....every weekend.

Is it necessarry to reformat if I keep my files in order?

I mean, unless I get a virus that totally screws me up. Is it necessary with all of this upkeep I'm doing?

Originally posted by Kortiz
Okay, hypothetically....lets say every weekend I defrag, virus scan, spybot, disk cleanup, cookies, scandisk.....all that.....every weekend.

Is it necessarry to reformat if I keep my files in order?

I mean, unless I get a virus that totally screws me up. Is it necessary with all of this upkeep I'm doing?

Generally, no and yes. You'll keep things running MUCH longer, but eventually entropy will take over :p.

so basically, yes.......but shit happens?

EDIT: I downloaded regsupreme and ran it once in all ways. got rid of around 1000 old keys....now when i turn on my laptop it says something about languages....i have no idea what that's all about...but it happened when i ran regsupreme. do i have anything to worry about?

I'll restart to see what it says exactly, but it was about not finding languages. and that is pretty much the jist of the popup i get.

Originally posted by lopoetve
Generally, no and yes. You'll keep things running MUCH longer, but eventually entropy will take over :p.

lol, don't here that word used much outside of lectures

I try to run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware daily, especially if I've been trying out new programs.

I always run Complete Internet Cleanup daily (Index.dat, Temp folder, cache and cookie cleaner).

I try to scandisk/defrag weekly but it's more like monthly.

I reformat at least one every six months, more often if I have had any major upgrades or I look at my registry and theres a lot of programs still listed in there that are long gone.

Back