How NVIDIA Helps Give ‘Shadow Warrior 2’ an Edge

HardOCP News

[H] News
Shadow Warrior 2, the highly anticipated first-person shooter that hit hard drives today, is focused on fun. But not to be missed behind the numerous weapon choices, over-the-top gore and edgy sense of humor is an indie release that is loaded with next-generation technology, thanks in part to a collaboration between NVIDIA and Flying Wild Hog, the game’s independent Poland-based developer. Published by Devolver Digital, the outfit behind indie hits like Hotline Miami and BroForce, Shadow Warrior 2 is a another example of Devolver Digital’s reach in the indie scene. Flying Wild Hog, along with Devolver sister company Gambitious, was a part of the NVIDIA Indie Spotlight program launch with their game Hard Reset: Redux. Our work with them on Shadow Warrior 2 has resulted in a game with stunning visuals that were aided by NVIDIA created or inspired technologies.

Shadow Warrior 2 uses NVIDIA Multi-Res Shading, which includes simultaneous multi-projection (SMP) technology built into NVIDIA Pascal GPUs to project images into multiple viewports. It can, for example, decrease the resolution of a game’s graphics on the periphery of the screen, improving performance without harming image quality on the center of the screen where a gamer’s eyes are focused during gameplay. This is the first time Multi-Res Shading technology has been used outside a VR application. By intelligently reducing the workload on the GPU, we gain a substantial amount of performance.

Kind of hardware DOF then? Didn't look bad full screen at 1440p but hopefully a toggle, just in case.

Kind of hardware DOF then? Didn't look bad full screen at 1440p but hopefully a toggle, just in case.

DOF was already done in hardware since NV30 IIRC. Multires renders at a lower resolution at the edges of the screen, but I guess you could do multires with DOF and motion blur as you wouldn't see the difference.

Multires has been long in coming. I first heard the idea back when the geforce2 came out IIRC. nvidia was looking for technologies to render parts of a scene at different LOD/resolution, but it was scrapped as it might be considered cheating. I recall the AF Optimizations fiasco, I guess this would have been much worse.

This looks interesting. I'm curious to see how noticeable the reduction in resolution on the edges of the screen is.

And this is why I only buy Nvidia.
I buy Nvidia because I want Nightmare fuel.

unity-face-glitch.jpg

"How NVIDIA Helps Give ‘Shadow Warrior 2’ an Edge"

*looks at steam discussions*

"Infinite loading screen blues for me. Got a quad core CPU. Bug only occurs with SLI enabled. I have to disable it globally in order to get the game to run."

*looks back at article title* Uh huh..

Can't wait for the benchmarks on AMD hardware.

http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Shadow_Warrior_2_/sw2_2560.png

Not quite sure why Nvidia is claiming 30% better performance when the AMD cards are actually matching or beating the equivalent Nvidia cards. I get 55-65 fps @1440P on my 390@1100MHz for reference.

If Nvidia is rendering at a lower resolution and only matching the AMD cards then I'd hate to see where they would be if they rendered at the full resolution like AMD .

Last edited:
http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Shadow_Warrior_2_/sw2_2560.png

Not quite sure why Nvidia is claiming 30% better performance when the AMD cards are actually matching or beating the equivalent Nvidia cards. I get 55-65 fps @1440P on my 390@1100MHz for reference.

If Nvidia is rendering at a lower resolution and only matching the AMD cards then I'd hate to see where they would be if they rendered at the full resolution like AMD .

game gpu disabled MSR in their test

http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/T...2_/ShadowWarrior2_2016_10_12_10_58_41_045.jpg

also when nvidia say 30% faster it is not compared to AMD equivalent hardware. it can be 30% faster compared to when the feature being turned off on their own hardware.

Last edited:
Back