How NOT To Sell An Item On Craigslist

HardOCP News

[H] News
Five Carat diamond. Check. Craigslist ad selling said diamond. Check. Woman selling the diamond goes alone to meet stranger in a dark parking lot. Check. Robbed at gun point…(do I even have to say it?)… Check.

Dayton police Lt. John Bardun said the woman went to the eatery to meet someone who was allegedly going to purchase the 5-carat diamond ring she’d posted on Craigslist.com. Instead, the woman reported being robbed of the ring by a man armed with a large revolver.

People in general never cease to amaze me with just how stupid they can be.

5 carat diamond on criagslist? lol, that's like selling your two Ferraris at the local flea market.

Some people.

I think I'm getting to the point where I'm no longer surprised by the stupidity of some people.

People in general never cease to amaze me with just how stupid they can be.

I always have the feeling I'm completely convinced everyone around me is retarded and I'm the only sane person in the world... When I read stuff like this is like, no way... there's no way somebody can be THAT stupid...

th_128863973788415863.jpg

Hrmm... actually this isn't a bad deal at all.

Step 1) List diamond on Craiglist
Step 2) Go to parking lot
Step 3) Toss ring down storm drain
Step 4) File police report
Step 5) Collect insurance settlement for twice what you could have sold it for
But wait, I'm gonna guess it won't end there!
Step 6) Not actually toss it down storm drain
Step 7) Attempt to pawn the diamond at a pawn shop
Step 8) Police put 2 and 2 together
Step 9) Instead of getting away with it, end up in jail.

oh, come on. Can we at least get a +1 for the Robber. That CL listing had to just make his/her day. Just imagine being the robber. It's not like you can make a career of of duping people on CL. You could definitely dupe people, but at the end of the day all you'd end up with is a one-legged Shiatsu, a truck load of dirt, 6 crooked 2x4s, and a BBW stalking you.

So I say, thank you collective criminal conscience for once again raising the bar at CL just a teeny (I think I'm gonna regret using that word, could lose man points) bit higher.

one time i was at a festival, sitting on a bench, and these three huge black dudes came up to me (im not kidding) hands in their pockets, pointing at me, saying 'give me your loot'. i looked at them, and kept looking at them until they got tired of repeating themselves and walked away. see, it was in a place were literally 1000 people were walking around. theres a lesson there.

Hrmm... actually this isn't a bad deal at all.

Step 1) List diamond on Craiglist
Step 2) Go to parking lot
Step 3) Toss ring down storm drain
Step 4) File police report
Step 5) Collect insurance settlement for twice what you could have sold it for
But wait, I'm gonna guess it won't end there!
Step 6) Not actually toss it down storm drain
Step 7) Attempt to pawn the diamond at a pawn shop
Step 8) Police put 2 and 2 together
Step 9) Instead of getting away with it, end up in jail.

this.
I was thinking the same thing...the insurance on an item like that would be more than you are gonna get for it on bloody craigslist....she might have sold the ring months ago too.

This is why I bring a gun, and a friend with a gun, to every Craigslist transaction.

I like how the comment section started off with racism instead of the woman's blatant stupidity. lol

I always meet in public places for something like this. No parking lots. I've bought/sold stuff on Craigslist before and once you even mention "public" or "bringing a friend" to the email, some either don't write back, or are legitimate.

I like how the comment section started off with racism instead of the woman's blatant stupidity. lol

I think you are either too paranoid or have had one too many CL "deals go bad" and need to stop doing them. I have always done the 1,000's of people around thing. Never had a problem, but I have never sold a 5c diamond either.

I think you are either too paranoid or have had one too many CL "deals go bad" and need to stop doing them. I have always done the 1,000's of people around thing. Never had a problem, but I have never sold a 5c diamond either.

Me? You lost me there. I only mentioned how I find the news site's comment section funny. I don't even go to Craigslist. Did you misquote someone else?

Me? You lost me there. I only mentioned how I find the news site's comment section funny. I don't even go to Craigslist. Did you misquote someone else?
He's referring to the guy with having guns prepared at every transaction he makes I think.

To comment, I sold my 37" Samsung TV a little while ago on craig's list without a problem to a couple which they were extremely nice and in college as well especially being enthusiastic about a TV that exceeded their expectations. They thought they were getting an alright TV instead got a TV that was in ALMOST brand new condition. Especially since I was helpful to point out how to use the TV.

I don't know, seems like a lot BS. Either she lied, or wanted the insurance money.

At least she avoided EBay/Paypal fees... Now that's a real robbery!

Craigslist have got a pretty bad reputation lately, with news like this and all. This falls also into these really obvious ones...

You always meet in public place with a friend or buddy to make sure the buyer is not a thief. Just amazes me people put themselves in a compromising position. If anything its a lesson learned. An expesive one but a lesson learned.

Going to meet strangers with possible conflict... Great idea man.

It's not as if he comes to meet the other person waving his gun around.. there are things called holsters and shirts wear over them.

The *only* way I'd sell any piece of jewelry (worth a damn) on CL is to meet them at a police station.

If they'll show up there...it's a done deal, and safe for both! ;)

The *only* way I'd sell any piece of jewelry (worth a damn) on CL is to meet them at a police station.

If they'll show up there...it's a done deal, and safe for both! ;)

Ive actually done some of my higher end transactions at the police station, both buying and selling. The cops dont mind, and it makes things easier for both parties.

Back