How not to apply Paste

Susquehannock said:
And 70% isopropyl alcohol is OK. Just a bit more water than the 90%. NO oils as someone said above.

sry about that, i wasn't really clear enough when I said that. SOME of the rubbing alcohol's @ 70% have oils and other ingredients, some are just more water. 70% will still be less effective at removing the paste than 90+ however.

All I know is, for for a procedure that you don't have to do that often, there is no reason to half-ass it.

For me it depends the rice method if i can move the heatsink around a bit .or I spread it if I have 4 post to slide the water block down( Storm type for intel)

AS3.jpg

Yeah, sad write up, applying the thermal paste with a qtip lol, then using a razor blade to scrap the excess paste off the heatsink, absolutly disgusting

It's a terrible guide, for sure, but not as bad as the guys in hong kong who did this to my 2100+ XP in 2003.

IMG_0708_jpg.jpg

I used to use a credit card to apply a thin layer to the chip (on 'naked' chips) but went with the grain of rice method on my A64's.

I try to use the rice method but which variety of rice are we talking about? Basmati? or Turkish Baldo? I have gone with Thai Sticky sized with a lot of luck but I want to make sure.

;)

Isn't the purpose of using the rice grain method to eliminate the possibility of air pockets?

Ren H said:
Isn't the purpose of using the rice grain method to eliminate the possibility of air pockets?

mhmm...also to use a little as possible of the thermal paste. in a perfect world we could get perfect contact between the core and heatsink, but because of microscopic valleys and imperfections, we use TIM to fill up the gaps.

quadnad said:
mhmm...also to use a little as possible of the thermal paste. in a perfect world we could get perfect contact between the core and heatsink, but because of microscopic valleys and imperfections, we use TIM to fill up the gaps.
That's exactly it. And why I believe most people apply way to much paste, even if they
follow the directions.

When using the rice grain method you are assuming the paste is viscous enough to squeeze
out and only leave enough to fill the voids. Might work that way in the perfect world.

Also, while the rice grain method works well for AS products, it results in very poor
performance when used with highly viscous & tacky pastes like Shin Etsu.
With this stuff spreading is pretty much mandatory if you want the paste to work to it's fullest potential.

I had no idea this would go this far for a bit O' Paste. :D
I did not like the idea of the cotton ball to spread the paste nor the steel razor to remove the TIM. Waste of paste to spread it with a Q-tip and a razor could gouge or scratch the heatsink.

Personally I use either Ceramic or Radio Shack paste. and the rice method on all Processors. Everytime I get a good contact patch and the material has spread out just fine ove the entire processor.

I tried the Shin Etsu and it was horrible. I did the method they asked for.

2543.jpg

This was a rice sized bit of AS Ceramic. It pulled the CPU out of the socket not once but twice! CPU works just fine however. I am using it to type this.

well, i got the a64 3200+ today....I used the alkohol to remove the paste and it worked like a charm. I used a lint free cloth to remove the majority of it and then used a q-tip for the tighter areas.

I then applied the AS5 (rice grain) to the CPU and attached the HSF. I am getting about 35-37C reading off of the CPU....is that high?

alkoholik said:
well, i got the a64 3200+ today....I used the alkohol to remove the paste and it worked like a charm. I used a lint free cloth to remove the majority of it and then used a q-tip for the tighter areas.

I then applied the AS5 (rice grain) to the CPU and attached the HSF. I am getting about 35-37C reading off of the CPU....is that high?

if you're using the stock hsf, yeah thats about normal. things do vary depending on the ambient temps, but you seem fine.

yeah its the retail hsf....couldnt remember the temps i had with my 3000...so far its stable and everything is running ok

Lord of Shadows said:
Yeah, and be sure to do this in a pressurized clean room. =)

Really doubt a single cotton fiber would make a difference.
My thoughts exactly. We're talking about removing grease, not windowing a hard drive.

Don't overcomplicate it.

Back