How new budget build stacks up...

Ok, I just built my first real Intel PC (aside from refurb/rebuilds for resale).

Specs:
BIOSTAR GF7050V-M7 Motherboard
E2160 Allendale
2x1gb OCZ Gold DDR2 800

Originally, I just bought this as a quick/cheap/dirty Linux box to tide me over and ease into the eventual upgrade to Quad core. But the funny thing is, after building it yesterday and achieving a seemingly effortless OC to 2.6ghz stable, I am wondering if it is time to retire my x2 4800+ that's in my signature and use the new hardware for my gaming rig.

I can't really compare apples to apples, but in Super Pi, I seem to be getting about 31% faster time in the new build vs. the old AMD.

In your opinion, how does the E2160 OC'd at say, 2.4ghz compare to my x2 4800+ at 2.4ghz?

I know it's no all about clock speed. There has to be some pro or con to shedding the socket 939 stuff while it still has some value.

The E2160 that you have beats the AMD in almost everytest and benchmark. Pull the trigger and switch permenantly.

E2160 goes straight to 9x333 out of the box.

Mine stopped being stable at about 265ghz, so I backed it down. I am positive this is due to my being a novice overclocker, and running unlinked.

Yes, more RAM it will eventually be. I've decided to keep the current E2160 as my Ubuntu machine, With sell off cash, I'll be picking up a better motherboard and another E2160 or 2180 w/ 2gb for now, then in 90 days when I can flip my PC loan at work, I'll grab a Quad Core CPU, 2 more gigs, and a Videocard (or two).

current amd verus current intel..

amd= trash

overclock that 2160 to 3.0ghz and call it a day

Back