How much thermal paste should I put on a GPU core?

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
4,812
I'm about to put a HR-03 onto my 8800 GTS 512. I'm just trying to figure out how much thermal paste I should put on a gpu. Is it about the same you would do with a CPU?
 
GPU dies are generally quite a bit smaller than CPU heatspreaders, so naturally, much less paste is needed. Just put a tiny bit on, test the contact by putting the heatsink on and then taking it off, and judge how much or how little paste you need based on how much of the GPU is covered during the test.
 
I installed it. When I turned it on it survived thankfully. Now it seems that it doesn't line up with the temps I've seen in reviews. I idle 46C and load 60C. I think it may have to do with my air flow. I'm getting new fans to replace the ones from my last project I never finished.

Any other ideas what maybe causing it? I think the heatsink may not be secure enough.
 
Back
Top