Votes: 155 25.8%
  • 128GB+

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 256GB+

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 512GB+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just deployed new mainboard in server. 384 GB. ZFS will be happy.
Nice!

Just upgraded to a 7800x3d system and stayed with 32gb. Don't see the need for more.

Boooooo. (n) Just kidding! Great that it's able to just stay put where its at. I'm able to keep ram at 4GB on older systems but that's because they're only 32-bit. Still usable though!

Just deployed new mainboard in server. 384 GB. ZFS will be happy.

One of the same reasons I have lots of RAM.

Back a decade ago there used to be a level where if you made the ARC use too much RAM, the system would choke in managing it, causing severe timeouts.

If I recall they recommended not setting the ARC larger than 128GB back then.

I'm hoping/guessing they must have resolved that by now. This may have been a FeeBSD issue now that I think about it. Not sure.

One of the same reasons I have lots of RAM.

Back a decade ago there used to be a level where if you made the ARC use too much RAM, the system would choke in managing it, causing severe timeouts.

If I recall they recommended not setting the ARC larger than 128GB back then.

I'm hoping/guessing they must have resolved that by now. This may have been a FeeBSD issue now that I think about it. Not sure.

I heard about this just recently, I think it is still being worked on. All OpenZFS platforms.

I heard about this just recently, I think it is still being worked on. All OpenZFS platforms.

Interesting. I'm going to have to do some googling. I just put 512GB in my new server build, was hoping to boost the ARC size to make it perform a little better, but I don't want it to choke.

I had 512 but decided to split it between 2 servers rather than put it all in one.

But I do have a Linux box with 256GB, do I get a consolation prize? :D
Sorry no prizes for 256GB since I didn't get one for the 256GB in my z420! :D

Yes me, I grabbed a fresh new kit of Teamgroup Delta T-Force 7600MHz C36 2x24GB 48GB kit. No option in the poll 😃

12GB? Am I reading that correctly? Some people have 12GB of Ram which is really weird number, isn't it?

12GB? Am I reading that correctly? Some people have 12GB of Ram which is really weird number, isn't it?

Bloomfield (x58 / Core i7-9xx) series CPU's had triple channel RAM, so you typically had 3 or 6 sticks if you used all slots.

These were the HEDT version of the generation right before Sandy Bridge, so, Intel Core gen 1.5 if I am counting Intel right?

I never quite understood how Sandy Bridge was second Gen Core, if prior to it we had:

- Core Solo / Core Duo (Yonah / Enhanced Pentium M)
- Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad (Merom)
- Nehalem / Bloomfield

If you ask me, Sandy Bridge should have been 4th gen Core.

Maybe they only count i3/i5/i7/i9 as being "core" despite there being two iterations of "core" before that (Yonah & Merom). In that case Nehalem and Bloomfield are first gen core, Sandy is Second Gen core, etc. etc.

Who knows what Intel's marketing department was smoking back then. Numbers hard.

Either way, when I first got my i7-920, I put 3x 2GB sticks in it, for 6GB. Before I retired it it had three 4GB sticks for a total 12GB in it. But yeah, that was a long time ago. They are a little long in the tooth at this point (I switched away from my Core i7-920 in 2011), but I'm sure there are quite a few of them still out there.

Last edited:
Not when you consider Intel had mainstream triple channel memory for a few years available to consumers. Boards had 6 slots for ram. 12gb was a common configuration back then.

Also many laptops come with 4gb soldered on, with an open slot. A popular choice for many years was to stick a 8gb stick in them also.

When I built my i7 7700k in 2017 I installed 32 GB. At the point when I upgraded to the Ryzen 7800X3D, I was regularly pushing up to the 32 GB limit. I saw DDR5 was now available in capacities of 24 GB a stick so I briefly contemplated doing 48 GB for the Ryzen, but immediately saw that 48 GB kits were equal in price to 64 GB kits, so 64 GB it is.

Back