How much ram are you using with vista rigs?

The basic rule of thumb for Vista and RAM probably would look like this:

Under 1GB = RUN and get more.

1GB = Works fine, but gets winded near the end of the run.

1.5GB = Much better, not as winded, room to breathe.

2GB = The sweet spot, but not quite the runner's high.

2GB+ = Now you're getting there, almost like floating...

4GB = Home sweet home in the clouds.

:D

i was using 2gb's

put in the other 1gb that i was gonna sell and it made a big difference.

so i'm gonna stick with 3gb's :)

I am using 2gb.

According to the Anandtech article it seems 3gb is the sweet spot.

1 GB PC6400.

Still trying to get the bugs worked out tho.

I am using 1GB ddr2 (376mhz) and its pretty fast and im on windows Vista x64. I have no problem running steam, css is pretty fast loading etc, Battlefield 2 is pretty fast also.

1GB DDR1 @ 460MHz on Vista Business x64. IMO it seems to run acceptably. I'm not going to buy any more DDR1 memory so this is it until I upgrade to (most likely) a Core 2 Duo.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1030577489 said:
all sounds good but I want to use dual chanel

2x1gb + 2x512 = 3gb dual channel goodness for me :)

The basic rule of thumb for Vista and RAM probably would look like this:

Under 1GB = RUN and get more.

1GB = Works fine, but gets winded near the end of the run.

1.5GB = Much better, not as winded, room to breathe.

2GB = The sweet spot, but not quite the runner's high.

2GB+ = Now you're getting there, almost like floating...

4GB = Home sweet home in the clouds.

:D
Do you sell ram for a living?;) :D My PC does excellent with 2 gig

i really dont think that more than 2Gb is necessary for buttery smooth performance...

I'm going to be using 2GB, I'm sure that'll be plenty for Vista.

The recommend 1GB so 2GB should be smooth.

Im running four gigs of 8500C5.

I guess Im lucky, I havent had any problems with Vista ultimate
since I installed it.

Any enthusast level boards out there that'll take more than 4gb memory? Need mild-moderate OC ability. Probably C2D.

I figure that some folk with Vista-64 will be wanting it if driver support ever gets better. :)

I dont game at all, I use 1g and vista 64 ultimate is perfectly fine with it

will vista 32-bit recognize the full 4 gigabytes or do you need to install the 64-bit version?

im using 2 gigabytes dual channel now and vista runs great, it caches about half of it in superfetch.

2gb is pretty decent and will get you great performance. My new rig will have 3gb though, "just because" :p

∞Velocitymaster∞;1030577489 said:
all sounds good but I want to use dual chanel

Run two sticks of 1gb in the original slots, and fill the other two slots up with two 512mb sticks....

I have 2 GB, and that's working just fine with Vista Ultimate 64-bit...

2 GB is really where you want to be - I wouldn't want less, but I don't think it's necessary (for the vast majority of ppl) to get more either. If you're running vmware or something like that, sure you could easily use more than 2 GB, but my work & games fit easily within 2 GB 99.9% of the time.

Still, I have no doubt we'll all have 4 GB in our rigs within the next few years... At least with Vista 64-bit, we'll be able to add that extra 2 GB with no issues.

Im running a Logictech G15 gammer keyboard that shows ram usage in an LED window. When I was at 2gig in XP the ram usage was usually around 20%. Then I went dual boot (separate Xraptors raid0) Vista Ultimate and ram usage was usually 50%. This is with the system static, not under load. That's why I went to 4 gigs. It seems better for Vista.

Im running a Logictech G15 gammer keyboard that shows ram usage in an LED window. When I was at 2gig in XP the ram usage was usually around 20%. Then I went dual boot (separate Xraptors raid0) Vista Ultimate and ram usage was usually 50%. This is with the system static, not under load. That's why I went to 4 gigs. It seems better for Vista.
A lot of that is stuff that could be swapped out when the system is under memory pressure. So, despite that measurement, the extra 2 GB may not help you much in terms of actual measured performance in games and apps. OTOH, 4 GB does seem like a good lifestyle choice, doesn't it?? I have to admit I'm tempted to get 4 GB, although I know full well that at least 2 GB would be wasted most of the time (maybe get some benefit from a bigger FS cache...).

i *was* going to get ultimate but then i said i dont need all the dumb programs so windows home premium. so far on 2GB ram i get 32% to 53% depanding on what programs i got running. in games i run arroung 80%+. im going to order some more ram now...

Vista tries to cache as much as possible. So 50% usage of RAM is normal and made to be (just like in linux).

It caches stuff and if it needs the RAM, uncaches it :)

I have Vista Ultimate running on 2 boxes, pretty much identical machines only one has 1 gig RAM and the has 2....strange thing is that they both use approximately 45-55% of the available RAM.

rampt7.jpg

Ultimate 32bit with 2gb of PC3200, I was ripping a CD while I took that SS.

When I was running vista beta, I was and still am using 2gb Corsair xms gaming memory ddr pc3200 :D Now just got to save up money for more ram, and upgrade to intel and nvidia :D
I had the worst combo anyone could have, ATI and AMD :( well I built my comp like 2 years
Well I could had upgraded but I bought a PS3 I guess I made a mistake, but oh well.

Back