How much power do you need these days?

Incorrect.. look into optimal efficiency for switching power supplies. This is a design proven fact, not a conspiracy theory. Newest generation power supplies even hold true to this, as proven in Jonnyguru tests or any other power electronics testing using AC-->DC switching power supplies. Improvements have been made to make it more around the 40% to 80% loading, but peak efficiency is still in the 50% range. It's sort of funny he makes that statement in the video while running the Jonnyguru website when his own tests contradict it.. lol.

Edit.. here's another article by Jon Gerow, where he again shows on Corsair's own website that peak efficiency is around 50%: https://www.corsair.com/it/es/blog/how-to-build-a-pc---the-power-supply
Peak efficiency is around 50%, but you're missing the point. If you look at the efficiency charts, you stay within 1% of peak 80% of the time. For instance, the Corsair RM550x does 88%+ efficiency from 75 watts all the way out to 550 watts,which means it exceeds it's Gold rating from 75 watts to 550 watts.

t3vwvrLnfzY9MDSWA3KnCd-970-80.jpg
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

If my rig runs wide open at 350 watts, which is about what I calculate, I'm at 90% efficiency on a gold unit. I'm pretty happy with that. that's still in it's sweet spot. How

That being said, I'd rather have that 650 watt, since it is only 10 bucks more. I may return the 550 and get the 650.However, that 550 is going to handle everything I can throw at it, including spikes (It will do a lot more than 550 watts, jsut not at Gold rating).

You can see here they ran this thing all the way to 660 watts and it kept 88% efficiency:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-4.html

The only reason I can see going with a higher rated PSU than you need is if yuo want to run full out all of the time,and you want the quiteest PSU you can get (Fan won't even come on) and you need the bestpower efficiency (large server farm or other type of wide open installation). Incidentally,this PSU's fan doesn't even come on until after 350 watts.

I know, that's what I said. For consumer builds, it really all comes down to cost, noise level, and your targeted needs/wants. I was just stating the factual information and engineered design. Obviously higher quality 80+ Gold and better power supplies are usually going to have a better efficiency curve, so it is always recommended to go with the highest efficiency rated and proven tested power supply for your budget if you want something that is quality. Overkill wattage output doesn't always equate to better, if you're running far under the rated efficiency. It is good to look at the load tests to see where you'll fall in the band to pick the proper wattage.

Incorrect.. look into optimal efficiency for switching power supplies. This is a design proven fact, not a conspiracy theory. Newest generation power supplies even hold true to this, as proven in Jonnyguru tests or any other power electronics testing using AC-->DC switching power supplies. Improvements have been made to make it more around the 40% to 80% loading, but peak efficiency is still in the 50% range. It's sort of funny he makes that statement in the video while running the Jonnyguru website when his own tests contradict it.. lol.

Edit.. here's another article by Jon Gerow, where he again shows on Corsair's own website that peak efficiency is around 50%: https://www.corsair.com/it/es/blog/how-to-build-a-pc---the-power-supply

That's not the point. The point is that your computer is never running at full load 100% of the time unless you're mining/folding/something else along those lines. Demanding games are typically in the 80% of maximum theoretical load range, while less demanding games can span anywhere from 30%-70% of maximum theoretical load. Idle is 15% of maximum theoretical load or less. If you get a PSU that puts your maximum theoretical load at 50% of the PSU's maximum capacity, you're now running at 40% capacity in a demanding game, 15-35% of most other games, and less than 10% at idle. You're no longer on the most efficient part of the curve, you're below it, especially at idle.

That's not the point. The point is that your computer is never running at full load 100% of the time unless you're mining/folding/something else along those lines. Demanding games are typically in the 80% of maximum theoretical load range, while less demanding games can span anywhere from 30%-70% of maximum theoretical load. Idle is 15% of maximum theoretical load or less. If you get a PSU that puts your maximum theoretical load at 50% of the PSU's maximum capacity, you're now running at 40% capacity in a demanding game, 15-35% of most other games, and less than 10% at idle. You're no longer on the most efficient part of the curve, you're below it, especially at idle.
It's all true. It's a %age game. However, getting that 650 watt is only 10 bucks more, gives you another 100 watts, but it's efficiency is the same. Yes, I could get another 50 watts in the 88% sweet spot, but that's it as far as efficiency goes. Both fan profiles ramp up about the same.

550: 88% from 75 watts all the way to 550 watts. Then 600 watts at 87%
t3vwvrLnfzY9MDSWA3KnCd-1460-80.jpg

650: 88% efficiency from 75 watts to 600 watts. At 550 watts, about 88.2 efficiency.
zuHUTV8uC4Q2HxPxS7kcDP-1460-80.jpg

750:
So here we go. Using a 750 and running my rig WFO, I get the sweet sport of 370 watts at 90.5 efficiency vs 89% for the two above,and a little better on the lower side. T
pToDubt7TK5MTDSr7euyp8-1460-80.png

The 750 is 40 dollars more than the 550.00, and I will never use that extra 300+ watts.

So efficiency is almost exactly the same, except in the case of the 550 vs 650, you get another 100 watts power for 10 bucks. Yeah it's worth it. the reason i got the 550 is because the 650 STILL isn't in stock and I wanted to build. However, two days ago, I cut the fuck out of my thumb preparing a meal, so I have to wait until that heals to assemble my new rig. I may then just wait for the 650, which will be back in stock in two days. However, I really don't think it matters. My new rig using AMD's flagship video card, which I will never own, will pull a WFO, unrealistic, wattage grand total of around 370 watts.

We got sidetracked into efficiency though. The argument was how much power is enough. How much output power can a PSU sustain at its given rating? Will this unit handle 400 watts continuous?

Quality manufacturers like Seasonic can sustain 100% of its rated output at 40+ C. Pick the best value high quality PSU that is at minimum 10% above your max theoretical load and call it good.

Quality manufacturers like Seasonic can sustain 100% of its rated output at 40+ C. Pick the best value high quality PSU that is at minimum 10% above your max theoretical load and call it good.
Yep, just found out it's the same for the Corsair RMx 550.

Back