• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How much power could you use???

Try 8 AMD Opteron 850s and those 54 amps on +12 will go down the tubes pretty quick. Throw in some 4 platter 15K SCSI drives and you can put an even bigger dent in that +12 current. 32GB of DDR400 will take care of +3.3. I wouldn't worry too much about +5 though :) Gamer/consumer system? Naaaw, that won't make a PCP&C 510 SLI sweat. But an 8 CPU server? Now we're talking.
 
Watts don't mean squat, it's amps you need, and on the proper rails. Look at the stickies!!!

And for that price you could have bought a real PSU like an Antec, an OCZ, a really nice Zippy or a Fortron blue storm, heck almost two Blue Storm 400's, and it only has 26 A on a single +12v rail, probably only 5% regulation also, they don't mention any of the following important specs: regulation percentage, rated operating temperature, and max combined +3.3, +5, and +12 loads, I.E. the all important crossloading. Plus, no 24 pin connector,so you are stuck in the past. At least the pic of it is pretty.
 
Ronbo said:
Watts don't mean squat, it's amps you need, and on the proper rails. Look at the stickies!!!

And for that price you could have bought a real PSU like an Antec, an OCZ, a really nice Zippy or a Fortron blue storm, heck almost two Blue Storm 400's, and it only has 26 A on a single +12v rail, probably only 5% regulation also, they don't mention any of the following important specs: regulation percentage, rated operating temperature, and max combined +3.3, +5, and +12 loads, I.E. the all important crossloading. Plus, no 24 pin connector,so you are stuck in the past. At least the pic of it is pretty.
I THINK you are talking to me, although you didn't quote my post so I'm not sure. If you're not, you can disregard this one. It does have a 24 pin connector, so that's why I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not.

I don't know about the 26A, but it seems to work great for me. I don't have any spikes or dips in the power. I don't have any crashing. Everything seems to work great. The only problem I am having is overclocking the CPU, but I can't tell if that is a board, CPU, PS or RAM problem. All I know is that it ticks me off because I wanted to play around a little bit for something to do.

However, it runs my entire rig perfect at stock FSB with 2-3-3-5-4 RAM, along with a bazillion USB devices, and it's purdy too :p
 
Hmm. I read one somewhat flattering and one not so flattering review of the Reactor. Measured tolerance on the 12v according to the one site was just under +/- 5%. At the other site it was closer to +/- 3%. I'm not sure which one to believe, so I'll take the worst case one just to be safe.
 
SirKenin said:
Hmm. I read one somewhat flattering and one not so flattering review of the Reactor. Measured tolerance on the 12v according to the one site was just under +/- 5%. At the other site it was closer to +/- 3%. I'm not sure which one to believe, so I'll take the worst case one just to be safe.

just points out the "typical" flawed methodology of most reviews
if its a static config, the information is of limited value
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology_13.html
 
cliff notes for other viewers
config A with just under 5% load regulation had a more taxing crossload than config B with 3%

alternately neither knew how ro actually measure fluctuation
employing instead the BIOS\SMBus
or a DMM that lacked true RMS

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=854186&highlight=RMS

or employed a more demanding load pattern
adding "more" load actually tends to even out the fluctuation
provided its still within the capacity of the supply
a serious test is to laod the CPU\GPU to near 100% and then suddenly stop
and look for overshoots
http://www.smpstech.com/over0000.htm

in general a more dynamic load is a far better test than a "greater" load
the other means to test fluctuation is indirectly asking the supply to deal with line regulation (fluctuating VAC) while maintaing a demanding load regulation (supplied DC)
 
Back
Top