How much overhead does S.M.A.R.T. monitoring consume?

typhoon43

2[H]4U
Now that my 300Gig DiamondMax is almost full, I'm considering turning on SMART monitoring for it. It's a media drive for music, videos, and storage of my applications, but all apps run off the C drive. How much of a hit will I take if I enable it.
Just in case it's CPU limited, my specs:
[email protected]
Gig of Corsair XMS Ram.

Personally, I've never used it and I don't even know if it's on. But a recent post here shows how valuable it can be. I guess drives fail shortly after SMART gives a warning, but enough of a warning to backup data.

I'm sorry I don't know how much slower it makes them.

typhoon43 said:
Now that my 300Gig DiamondMax is almost full, I'm considering turning on SMART monitoring for it. It's a media drive for music, videos, and storage of my applications, but all apps run off the C drive. How much of a hit will I take if I enable it.
Just in case it's CPU limited, my specs:
[email protected]
Gig of Corsair XMS Ram.
I don't think there's any noticeable overhead... With that system you shouldn't notice the difference at all (except for advance warning).

what smart utility are you going to use? i am looking for a free one that is good, still yet to find one. any pointers for such i would appreciate. btw - i would not worry about the overhead ,if any, since you want peice of mind.

typhoon43 said:
How much of a hit will I take if I enable it.

From my experience, the hit is insignificant. In the past I have benchmarked 2 identical drives on 2 identical systems, one with SMART enabled and the other without. I was unable to show a consistent speed difference between the two. With our ultra-fast CPUs nowadays, I don't believe anyone would ever notice any performance degradation.

Back