how much of a loss when using a single 120mm fan rad solution? pump ? as well

Tunabow

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I dont really feel like buying a new case to do water cooling but I dont want to miss out on any performance if possible. Will one of the single 120mm sized rads be alright for cooling my CPU and maybe my G card? would the swiftech mcp 350 be the smallest effective pump? I want to put the rad on the bottom of my lian li and the pump next to it.

I use a TDX, and a Maze4 GPU, and a 120mm Rad... On a DDC-12V with the 1/2" barb mod.

You know what? I don't get any loss in performance I think. My temps are always great, my load temps are INCREDIBLE. Only one fan on the rad, thats a Panaflo.

But, I do plan on upgrading to a 240mm Rad sometime in the future, but that won't be for a long time.

frankly what I would do, if space is a concern, is buy a QUALITY radiator. Not to say the BIX line or similar isn't good (I own a BIX2 myself) but the thermochill designed by cathar kicks some serious ass in a single 120mm solution. It may cost $90 or so, but you get what you pay for in this case. The only way to get better performance would be to jump to a dual 120mm setup, which isn't an option in your case. TRUST me, spend the extra money, and get this radiator, it is perfect. Dangerden sells it, and you can read the discussion thread about the radiator as well, starting with the design, and ending with a finished product. There was a lot of design effort put into this radiator, read up on it, and decide for yourself. I think it was the reason why dangerden had to slash BIX prices so much.

mikelz85 said:
frankly what I would do, if space is a concern, is buy a QUALITY radiator. Not to say the BIX line or similar isn't good (I own a BIX2 myself) but the thermochill designed by cathar kicks some serious ass in a single 120mm solution. It may cost $90 or so, but you get what you pay for in this case. The only way to get better performance would be to jump to a dual 120mm setup, which isn't an option in your case. TRUST me, spend the extra money, and get this radiator, it is perfect. Dangerden sells it, and you can read the discussion thread about the radiator as well, starting with the design, and ending with a finished product. There was a lot of design effort put into this radiator, read up on it, and decide for yourself. I think it was the reason why dangerden had to slash BIX prices so much.

O yea, the PA 160 will serve you just as well as a normal 120.2 rad. I'd get it if space is a concern. I wouldn't get a normal 120mm rad, the performance won't be what you want it to be if you are OCing like crazy.

O yea, and the pump I'd get on a budget is the DDC-12V, like was mentioned above. But if you have the money, get a D5 (a.k.a. MCP655).

The problem with the PA160 is that it might not fit as easily as a single 120mm radiator.

To answer your question, despite what some people have said a single 120mm radiator will be more than adequate to cool the components in your sig. Neither the 3000+ nor the X800XL run all that hot. And the DDC should also provide you adequate flow rates.

Of course, bigger is (almost) always better, but in your case a single 120mm will work fine (not great).

@Russ : The DDC is the same price as the D5, your comment makes no sense lol.

price on the rad isnt an issue and if the thermochill performs as well as a regular 2 x 120 solution then im all for it.

Tunabow said:
price on the rad isnt an issue and if the thermochill performs as well as a regular 2 x 120 solution then im all for it.
it does.

Erasmus354 said:
@Russ : The DDC is the same price as the D5, your comment makes no sense lol.
oops. My bad. I haven't looked at the prices on that thing for a long time and I assumed that since it has worse performance it would be priced lower. Get the D5 then.

If you can fit the PA160 it is a better radiator, however if you cant tell by the name it is larger than a 120mm radiator and may not fit easily for you.

Tunabow said:
would it fit in a li li with just the bottom rack removed.
It requires a good bit of cutting but it will fit in a lian-li (I am assuming the pc-6X series?) There was a tutorial of sorts on how to cut up a lili pc-60 to get the PA160 to fit I believe.

Get the DDC and do a 1/2" mod to it. It outperforms the D5 and still retains is quietness.

KrakenGuy said:
Get the DDC and do a 1/2" mod to it. It outperforms the D5 and still retains is quietness.

It doesn't outperform the D5, it performs close to the D5. In fact the DDC and D5 are actually very similar pumps, the DDC is simply designed to be more compact. Doing the modifications to the DDC opens it up and makes it very similar to the D5, thus the similar performance.

i didnt see a pa on the danger den website. either way it wont fit just below the floppy bays like i wanted it to so i have to think of another way to do this.

anyone have demensions of the d5 pump? im gopnna look around some more and i think this will be an external unit directly above or below my case to the exact length and width and then the height will be just what i need tio have good airflow so im figuing about 8in high.

Erasmus354 said:
It doesn't outperform the D5, it performs close to the D5. In fact the DDC and D5 are actually very similar pumps, the DDC is simply designed to be more compact. Doing the modifications to the DDC opens it up and makes it very similar to the D5, thus the similar performance.

Do you remember there being a website that showed the flow rates and head pressure and such? And the guy went and redid the tests because the first time he did them, he didn't have anything to create a kill in flow? Then he did the tests again but added a rad and a TDX block and such? In the end, the DDC was victorious, still has its silence, yet, outperformed the D5... That and there is no annoying high pitch sound with the DDC...

Back