How much faster will the Geforce 7950GX2 be compared to Geforce 7900GTX?

Manoj

Gawd
Any ideas about how much faster will the Geforce 7950GX2 be compared to Geforce 7900GTX?

IT is clocked slower but has two cores. I suspect it will come in faster by about 20% and slower than two 7900GTX in sli. It will realy excell in games where 1 gig of frame buffer will give it a real advantage (none exist at the moment)

If the would release them sli ready , i would step up in a heart beat since they will retail about the same as a Super Clock.

jacuzz1 said:
IT is clocked slower but has two cores. I suspect it will come in faster by about 20% and slower than two 7900GTX in sli. It will realy excell in games where 1 gig of frame buffer will give it a real advantage (none exist at the moment)

If the would release them sli ready , i would step up in a heart beat since they will retail about the same as a Super Clock.

It doesn't have 1 gig of memory total. There is 1gig on "the card"(NV is calling it a single card since it only has 1 PCI-E connector) but it's really only 512MB per a core and it's not shared.

LittleMe said:
It doesn't have 1 gig of memory total. There is 1gig on "the card"(NV is calling it a single card since it only has 1 PCI-E connector) but it's really only 512MB per a core and it's not shared.

It in fact is shared as in it uses both sets of 512 on this device from what i have been told. That is the real advantage over normal sli cards. With quad their will only be 1 gig as opposed to 2 gig just like anyother sli setup

Think about it for a moment. There would be absolutely no reason to have one gig on the dual card otherwis

Arggg ... those graph scales are nuts :p Makes it look like it performs more than twice as fast as a single GTX.

As far as current 7900 GTX/7800 512 GTX SLI users, this "single" really has nothing, actually less to offer since both its core and memory are lower clocked than even a 7800 512 GTX. Where this card becomes intresting is with QUAD SLI, which apparently is a little problematic at the moment, and the 7950GX2 won't even support QUAD SLI out of the gate if my understanding is correct. We'll have to see about QUAD SLI with this card.

This "single" card does have something to offer those who do not have SLI or don't have video hardware in the first place. If the MSRP of $600 dollars hold, it will be a bargin. SLI is a very powerful technology and does add a great deal of performace to most modern games. F.E.A.R, Oblivion, CoD2 just to name a few are totally different games with my rig when I run one card vs SLI. A lot of people say its a gimmick, and in my six months of constant playing with the the technology, I honestly feel that it is a real and at least in DUAL SLI mode, stable. QUAD SLI on the other hand is another matter.

If this card comes out at $600 bucks, and in good supply (which I imagine would have to be the case if its priced at $600), it will represent the one of the best deals in high end gamming ever IMHO.

So let cross out fingers and hope that nVidia can get this out in good supply and keep the price right, as it will force down the price of both nVidia and ATI high end parts. That's a good thing, at least for consumers!

DusterAZ said:
Arggg ... those graph scales are nuts :p Makes it look like it performs more than twice as fast as a single GTX.
how so? the 7900GTX is the base 1.0score, and the highest one of the GX2 puts it at 1.8

All I can tell you guys that it will be a hard launch.

I got a call from a distributor that stock is on hand and I could get one now but need to keep quiet due to NDA. The launch will be in a couple of days time.

Manoj said:
All I can tell you guys that it will be a hard launch.

I got a call from a distributor that stock is on hand and I could get one now but need to keep quiet due to NDA. The launch will be in a couple of days time.

So what about performance and QUAD SLI? Will this card bring anything to the table for people like me already running high end SLI rigs?

Not asking you to break an NDA, just a general indication if you can.

Thanks!

jacuzz1 said:
It in fact is shared as in it uses both sets of 512 on this device from what i have been told. That is the real advantage over normal sli cards. With quad their will only be 1 gig as opposed to 2 gig just like anyother sli setup

Think about it for a moment. There would be absolutely no reason to have one gig on the dual card otherwis

But you have to remember, there is only 512MB on each PCB. Read around on some of the sites with early information on the cards. Here's a quick one from TheInq

Each chip addresses 512MB of memory, meaning that each card has 1024MB memory or that Quad SLI totally features 2GB of graphic memory.

Other sites have the same information and it's the same thing with the currently shipping "long" 7900 GX2's.

Edit: Same thing here

It is only about 20%-35% faster on average. The graph is VERY misleading, as the 7900GTX ends at a base score of 1.0, but goes down to 0.6. So really, 1.2 for the 7950GX2 is only a 20% increase in performance, and 1.6 would be 60%

InternalStorm said:
It is only about 20%-35% faster on average. The graph is VERY misleading, as the 7900GTX ends at a base score of 1.0, but goes down to 0.6. So really, 1.2 for the 7950GX2 is only a 20% increase in performance, and 1.6 would be 60%

That doesn't sound too bad right?

Nforce 590 SLI motherboards are optimized for Geforce 7900 GTX and Geforce 7950GX2.

InternalStorm said:

The benchmark results are for 1600 x 1200 32bit with 4x FSAA and 8x AA. Can you image how fast it will be when playing at 1280 x 1024 with 4x FSAA and 8x AA?

Manoj said:
That doesn't sound too bad right?

Nforce 590 SLI motherboards are optimized for Geforce 7900 GTX and Geforce 7950GX2.

the 590 boards will shift resources (memory?voltage?) to the gtx cards as they need them while gaming or whatever. but only the gtx/gx/gx2, not gt. so far.

vanilla_guerilla said:
the 590 boards will shift resources (memory?voltage?) to the gtx cards as they need them while gaming or whatever. but only the gtx/gx/gx2, not gt. so far.

So the Geforce 7900 GTX and Geforce 7950GX2 will benefit from the 590 SLI?

I just found out that the XFX Geforce 7950 GX2 XXX Edition will be clocked at 570mhz core or something. Not sure about the memory speed.

Manoj said:
Currently only Geforce 7900 GTX and Geforce 7950GX2 will support it.

Yes, I know. I didn't make reference to it working with anything else just providing more information that it doesn't boost any and all PCIe devices. At any rate, even with 7950GX2's, I doubt it will do anything to improve performance since so far, it's only been shown make any effect at lower resolutions. And if you have 7900GTX's or above, why would you be gaming in something under 1280x1024.

LittleMe said:
Yes, I know. I didn't make reference to it working with anything else just providing more information that it doesn't boost any and all PCIe devices. At any rate, even with 7950GX2's, I doubt it will do anything to improve performance since so far, it's only been shown make any effect at lower resolutions. And if you have 7900GTX's or above, why would you be gaming in something under 1280x1024.

I am told further tweaks will be made in future bios revisions. Also with newer drivers. The feature is in its early stages at the moment.

Back