How much does it help performance wise to Run 1:1 divider when Overclocking? A64 939

Tunabow

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering how important it was to run a 1:1 divider performance wise when overclocking on an A64. I am getting an A64 3000 winchester with a DFI lan party ultra d and was wondering what the difference would be if I got some Value ram and ram a divider over getting some TCCD Samsung.

Tunabow said:
I was wondering how important it was to run a 1:1 divider performance wise when overclocking on an A64. I am getting an A64 3000 winchester with a DFI lan party ultra d and was wondering what the difference would be if I got some Value ram and ram a divider over getting some TCCD Samsung.

Its a pretty big difference yeah. With only about a $50 spread from the cheap 3200 kits to the cheaper kits of PC4400 g.skill TCCD I went with g.skill, I'm getting almost the same setup, just the soltek K8T890 mobo instead of the DFI.

:edit:
I bought the 2.5-4-4-8 1gb kits of TCCD g.skill for $222 btw. I see its up to $24x again on the egg, but shop around and you might do a little better.

I hope its worth the 80 dollar difference between TCCd and valueram. Im gonna go for the TCCd unless something comes up

I finally got around to OC'ing my 3000+ today , from 1.8 to 2.6 with an XP-120. I love my computer now (first oc :D )

And I have the G.Skill PC4400

yep I cant wait to get my pc, unfortunately ill be waiting on the ATI branded x800xl. ill have some crappy pci card in my pc until I get that. Im gonna go with the XP120 as well.

Tunabow said:
I was wondering how important it was to run a 1:1 divider performance wise when overclocking on an A64.

THIS thread from the Anandtech forums has the info you need.

I think most people will be surprised at the conclusions drawn in that thread. Of course there are benefits to either choice, so there's no need for anyone to feel like they must defend their purchase. Faster memory will make for a faster system... But if the choice between budget and expensive RAM concerns you now, then after reading the post I think one would be very persuaded to go the budget route. The Athlon 64 platform is really such a wonderfully performing platform to begin with that being able to save money with budget RAM and still ending up with the fast system you were looking to get should make your build just that much more satisfying.

I think your question was the effect of 1:1 vs say a 5:6 on performance.

I have some Geil PC4000 Ultra ram but am running a divider due to my FSB speed being 300 and the ram even with looser timings did not want to run at DDR 600 speeds.

I saw a relatively stable performance bump between
250FSB 1:1 4X HT 9X multiplier and then as I moved my way to
300FSB 5:6 divider 3X HT 9X multiplier on my A64 3000+.
This gives me effecting ram clock speed of 250 which is what it is rated at and it runs at the rated 2.5-3-3-7-1T

I have gone to 310 and performance drops significantly and I am already at 2.8 vdimm and 1.62 vcore so I think I have maxed out.

I do not think you are going to get hammered by the divider. I have heard that if you have to go to 2T on your ram you take a pretty big hit though.

Back