How much does Comcast actually cost?

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been scouring Comcast's website looking for what their 50mbps service will cost after the 12 month reduced rate, and I just can't find it anywhere. Could someone here with the 50mbps service let me know how much they actually have to pay after the first year and what kind of hidden fees I can expect? And would it be prudent to purchase my own cable modem?

Also, what's the deal with Comcast's data caps these days? Is it still 250GB per month + a fee if you go over?

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
I've been scouring Comcast's website looking for what their 50mbps service will cost after the 12 month reduced rate, and I just can't find it anywhere. Could someone here with the 50mbps service let me know how much they actually have to pay after the first year and what kind of hidden fees I can expect? And would it be prudent to purchase my own cable modem?

Thanks a bunch.

You have to call them. They wont give you a number on the website because they screw people in different areas at different rates. Honestly, I wouldn't even trust what the phone rep tells you. You can find out how much it costs when they bill you.

That's a bit paranoid. Yes it's true that they have different rates in different locations, but the easiest and best solution is to walk into the local sales office and talk to a native English-speaker. You'll get the right plan and the right quote up front with out the frustration of trying to translate engrish.

I don't see a 50mbs option on the site.
I see 3, 6, 25, 105, and 150mps.
prices for 23513
25mpbs, $39.99, after 12 months, $42.95 to $66.95, prices varies by region
105mps, $59.99, after 12 months, $58.95 to $76.95, prices varies by region
150mps, $89.99, after 12 months, $114.95

Th best deal is the Blast Plus, 45+ channels with HBO and HBO GO, and 105mps for $59.99. Same price as internet alone but gets you TV service.
(Comcast’s current monthly service charge for Blast Plus! with HBO Double Play is $91.95, and HBO ® ranges based on area, from $17.95 to $21.95 (pricing subject to change). TV and Internet service limited to a single outlet.)

Last edited:
Comcast appears to like single outlet, but I use computers in two rooms, a laptop, set up or trouble shoot computers/laptops, and use Kindle(s), Nook(s), Dell Venue 8 Pro.
Does this mean a wifi router with switch or paying extra?
One TV is doable, multiple internet devices are necessary, for me anyway. Does this cost extra.

One outlet probably means they supply only 1 cable box for that price, home only needs one modem, so you can hook up a router to it and use more than one internet device.

Comcast appears to like single outlet, but I use computers in two rooms, a laptop, set up or trouble shoot computers/laptops, and use Kindle(s), Nook(s), Dell Venue 8 Pro.
Does this mean a wifi router with switch or paying extra?
One TV is doable, multiple internet devices are necessary, for me anyway. Does this cost extra.

They will probably give you a modem/router with wifi. If not just throw a router on there. I have been using my own modem and router for some time now with comcast.

That's a bit paranoid. Yes it's true that they have different rates in different locations, but the easiest and best solution is to walk into the local sales office and talk to a native English-speaker. You'll get the right plan and the right quote up front with out the frustration of trying to translate engrish.

I don't usually have a problem with their engrish, its the straight up lying that I have a problem with. But you're right, its harder to lie to someone's face than it is over the phone. I've had reps tell me the modem fee is really a "line fee" and i'll still have to pay it if I use my own modem. A couple even tried to convince me that there was no introductory price. One told me that I had to pay a fee per device that was using the internet access. Though the last guy was really nice and gave me "free wifi" with my wireless router :rolleyes:.

Most of the time you can just keep calling the retention department and threatening to cancel, and they'll keep you at the introductory rate that is displayed on their website.

The rates differ by region.

I pay $78.95 a month for Blast+HBO which is 50/10. That includes the modem and digital economy TV+HBO. That's a promotional rate. the internet alone previous was $74.95 a month with the modem.

This is in the Philadelphia area. You can either buy a modem or use the one they offer, which is usually a Cisco DPC3000. They charge $8 per month for rental. A good Docsis 3 modem will run you about $80ish bucks so decide if you want the modem or not.

After the promotional rate expires I believe the 50 mbps rate jumps up to $84.95 a month. I haven't experienced hidden fees, but sometimes they like to peg you with late fee charges and you have to make sure to call them to get them removed. I haven't had a lot of difficulty with them, it's just whenever you have an actual problem it's like pulling teeth with their shit customer service departments.

They will probably give you a modem/router with wifi. If not just throw a router on there. I have been using my own modem and router for some time now with comcast.

Also i think you should see which modem or modem/router/wireless combined they are giving if going that route. Some of them are utter junk!

Also, what's the deal with Comcast's data caps these days? Is it still 250GB per month + a fee if you go over?

Thanks a bunch.

The cap is 300GB per month. If you go over 300GB, they "add" 50GB to your data limit and charge you $10, and same thing again if you go over the new 350GB cap.

As soon as comcast started this bullshit I switched to a business connection with no cap. No way in hell will I ever have a terrestrial internet connection that is metered.

In Colorado, I pay ~$70/month for their top tier 50Mb/s internet, alone. They do charge me $10/month more because I don't have cable.

I have never reached their data cap, although I have been close a few times, so I don't know how they handle that.

Oh, and don't get their rented cable modem/wireless router all in one device. They all use the same admin password, and users aren't allowed to change it, and Comcast enables the remote admin functions so they can more easily support the customers, so it's pretty easy to hack, especially by former Comcast support people. There have been incidents of stolen banking and personal information due to these.

In salt lake city, ut, its $75 without cable, $65 with cable for 55mb down, 11 up. Overage fees depend on where you live, none in salt lake, and yes buy your own modem.

Just checked my usage, we would be boned if we had overages, we have used 691gb, 705gb, and 587gb in the last 3 months. We have 11 people in our house and 5 kids that constantly use netflix.

Last edited:
In Colorado, I pay ~$70/month for their top tier 50Mb/s internet, alone. They do charge me $10/month more because I don't have cable.

I have never reached their data cap, although I have been close a few times, so I don't know how they handle that.

Oh, and don't get their rented cable modem/wireless router all in one device. They all use the same admin password, and users aren't allowed to change it, and Comcast enables the remote admin functions so they can more easily support the customers, so it's pretty easy to hack, especially by former Comcast support people. There have been incidents of stolen banking and personal information due to these.
Wow, that's insane. But yeah I'm getting a Motorola Surfboard modem connected to my trusty WRT54GL with dd-wrt.

Also i think you should see which modem or modem/router/wireless combined they are giving if going that route. Some of them are utter junk!

I love your use of the word "give"

What they actually do is rent you the equipment, and charge you for borrowing it every month.

Not true in my experience. My husband went in to the local office at least 6 times to talk to them about the total cost for a bundle of tv, phone, and internet. Every time the same price was quoted to him. Now that we have our first bill we find that with all kinds of additional fees, which were never even mentioned, we find that our actual bill will be almost 50.00 a month more than he was quoted. When he went back in to ask about them he was told by the local office person that she didn't mention them because they are different for different areas and she didn't know what they would be for us. Which is crap in my opinion. We are considering cancelling our service and going with an antenna for the tv and another provider for internet.

Back