How much does an AM2 motherboard cripple a Phenom?

Diseaseboy

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 (nforce 570 SLI) motherbaord and Gigabyte just updated their cpu list and it looks like my board will support all the current X3/X4 phenoms. I am thinking of a 9850- how much of a performance decrease is running the Phenoms at a lower HT speed?

You don't get split plane voltage control, which isn't doing much anyways.

You won't get faster HT speeds or faster speed DDR2 support either. The performance losses should be minimal on a desktop board.

also to add is AOD sux and doesn't work all the time so using am2 and u won't be missing anything

I wondered the same thing about the phenom x4. But it probably wouldn't be recognized by my compaq anyway. :(

With a Phenom 9600 my Sli never worked in my ASUS Crosshair Nvidia 590 Chipset Mobo but with the standard dual core AM2 CPU's SLI with my twin Video cards ran fine. Its obvious the Phenom was not designed for the AM2 Mobos and even though there were bios updates there were issues.

your overclocking would be limited I suppose. if you get a black edition though you would probably get rather good performance. not much being "crippled".

You don't get split plane voltage control, which isn't doing much anyways.

You won't get faster HT speeds or faster speed DDR2 support either. The performance losses should be minimal on a desktop board.

With respect to DDR2 speeds, some manufacturers have released Phenom-compatible AM2 BIOS updates that support DDR2-1066. The Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (Nvidia 570) actually only supports DDR2-1066 if a Phenom processor is installed. I'm not sure if Gigabyte has enabled similar support, but it's within the realm of possibility.

With a Phenom 9600 my Sli never worked in my ASUS Crosshair Nvidia 590 Chipset Mobo but with the standard dual core AM2 CPU's SLI with my twin Video cards ran fine. Its obvious the Phenom was not designed for the AM2 Mobos and even though there were bios updates there were issues.
hmm interesting. that kind of sucks though.

Back