How much does a Static IP improve gaming?

chew63

Gawd
I game on pc (usually fps's) and on my 360 over 3.0mbps/368kbps DSL using a Linksys Router. Every now and then I'll see some lag. I see where my ISP offers Static IPs. How much will that improve will I see, if any, using a Static IP? I've googled this, but can't seem to find any info about it.

Maybe this should be in networking, but I'm specifically talking about gaming performance.

A static IP is simply an IP that does not change, having a static IP in comparison to a dynamic IP (with everything else being equal) will not increase or decrease network performance.

Quite often Static IP's come with business packages where as most home packages come with dynamic IP's, and in some countries such as the UK our business packages tend to get greater priority across the central networks so pings are better and data transfer is higher (less contention). If you upgraded your package to one with a static IP it might come with extra benefits such as higher priority but it's no gurantee (check with your ISP first), and some ISP's do offer changes from dynamic IP's to static ones without changing the package in which case you'll see no benefit at all.

A static IP is simply an IP that does not change, having a static IP in comparison to a dynamic IP (with everything else being equal) will not increase or decrease network performance.

Quite often Static IP's come with business packages where as most home packages come with dynamic IP's, and in some countries such as the UK our business packages tend to get greater priority across the central networks so pings are better and data transfer is higher (less contention). If you upgraded your package to one with a static IP it might come with extra benefits such as higher priority but it's no gurantee (check with your ISP first), and some ISP's do offer changes from dynamic IP's to static ones without changing the package in which case you'll see no benefit at all.

Exactly.

I have had both, and there is no faster or slower IP.. :p

My personal choice is Dynamic because if you get banned from a service by your IP, all you have to do is simply relog your connection and you have a new IP. Wala! Instant unbannage. :cool:

The only reason I would like a static for is if I ran a server, so I wouldn't have to keep updating my DNS with the new IP every time.

Paying extra because you think it will improve your latency is ludicrous.

it would not cost any extra.

Oh ok, good. It's up to you then.... I remember Bellsouth used to charge DSL customers like $5-10/month extra for a static IP.

Another good thing about static IP is if you make temporary game servers with your friends. You can remember your IP and easily tell your friends by heart what it is and not have to waste time looking for your IP.

Yeah, usually they ban your range or specific game ID or name.

Another good thing about static IP is if you make temporary game servers with your friends. You can remember your IP and easily tell your friends by heart what it is and not have to waste time looking for your IP.

That is, in my opinion, the only benefit but there are free services which reside on the server computer which can allow your friends to type in (for example) quadnadsfearserver into their game's address box and it will resolve to whatever IP your server is on (because the server updates the service's database as to what it's IP is at any given time).

Of course, of course.

I was talking banned from anything in general. A forum I was reading one time banned someone by their range because they kept remaking new accounts and being an asshole on the forum.

I highly doubt any games ban IP ranges. Most DSL/Cable uses within the same node are also on the same IP range.

No but dumb admins do :)

Static IP's used to be rare in the UK outside of a business connection but a lot of the time the user has a choice of dynamic and static now, if not you can usualy purchase it as an extra with your package.

It's more for hosting than anything else, with a static IP you can forward a website or another online service to point straight at your own PC

Dynamic DNS (http://www.dyndns.com/) can do this also. Best of both worlds for oft-banned users who also want to host services.

That either means you need software installed on your PC to do it, or you need the option on your router, not all of them have it, but yes It's a very handy piece of technology for home hosting.

Back