How much doe the custom kernel help?

Zagen30

Weaksauce
I ask because someone thinks my 4P 4650 would run a whole lot faster if I switched from v7 to the [H] folding appliance, but I'm already running the Kraken and have it running on a ramdisk, and back in April when I first got it going I was getting basically the same frame times as others with the same setup (I'm still seeing the same performance). As far as I can tell the only current difference between my setup and the new appliance is the kernel. Does anyone have figures on <system with the Kraken> vs. <system with the Kraken and kernel>?

To my knoledge it has not been tested against the current kernel. But when it was devoliped by tear it did / does make a diffrence it would not have been used if it did not make a diffrence. It is better to make a folding tool that does not have restrictions for the general folding public than one that does (such as you can not update the kernel) and it would not be done if there was no measureable benifit at the time.

That does not mean that improvements / changes done to the Ubuntu kernel since the devolipment of the kernel used have not improved Ubuntu's preformance with FAH it just means that at the time the custom kernel was devoliped it had better preformance. I currentley use it on all my folding rigs and have seen no reason to switch.

A LOT I will say, at least boot up time would be improve 10 fold if you optimize it well. And some options are disabled by default.

I thought the kernel included in the [H] distribution was just a trimmed down version of the "official" kernel? As in all the useless crap is removed, so boot times etc. are quicker. Very well could be wrong though :)

I ask because someone thinks my 4P 4650 would run a whole lot faster if I switched from v7 to the [H] folding appliance, but I'm already running the Kraken and have it running on a ramdisk, and back in April when I first got it going I was getting basically the same frame times as others with the same setup (I'm still seeing the same performance). As far as I can tell the only current difference between my setup and the new appliance is the kernel. Does anyone have figures on <system with the Kraken> vs. <system with the Kraken and kernel>?

We could tell ya, but then we'd need write access to your config.xml to fix the team setting. :cool:

Back