- Joined
- Jul 27, 2006
- Messages
- 9,484
This is a science fair project I am doing. Last year I did it on a comparison of three different and common cooling methods (passive and active air cooling, and water cooling).
My question this year is "how much difference a MHz in a CPU really makes?" I intend to calculate Pi to 32 million places, since Pi is an infinite number with no pattern, while having the program give a very precise and accurate time of how long it took. I will be using SuperPi specifically to calculate Pi.
Right now I am only in the stages of doing research. I did Google my question, and quite fortunately (for me at least) there are no results for my particular question.
So what do I need help with? Well I need help and sources to explain why calculating Pi is a logical way to determine the MHz power of a CPU. Since GPUs and PPUs are better at math than CPUs are, this is why I raise this thought.
CPUs have a mathematical side and logical side, don't they? The mathematical side literally carries out mathematical equations and instructions, etc, kind of like a GPU, but not as efficiently or as well. The thing that CPUs are more specialized in is logic -- or like carrying out a program's instructions and stuff; if a GPU took the place of a CPU, it would struggle to do these things, whereas the CPU would struggle to render material.
EDIT :: Actually, it wouldn't matter...almost. If Pi were calculated on a CPU and GPU, you would get a result that would give you an idea of how many more operations per second one could do over the other.
So in that case, how is the GPU different? How can the GPU do math better than a CPU? Pi -- how would the GPU be able to calculate (for example) 32 million digits faster than a CPU? What IS this factor or thing?
Wow, now I'm really curious. I might modify my topic question to have something to do with CPUs vs GPUs and the MHz difference. o_o
My question this year is "how much difference a MHz in a CPU really makes?" I intend to calculate Pi to 32 million places, since Pi is an infinite number with no pattern, while having the program give a very precise and accurate time of how long it took. I will be using SuperPi specifically to calculate Pi.
Right now I am only in the stages of doing research. I did Google my question, and quite fortunately (for me at least) there are no results for my particular question.
So what do I need help with? Well I need help and sources to explain why calculating Pi is a logical way to determine the MHz power of a CPU. Since GPUs and PPUs are better at math than CPUs are, this is why I raise this thought.
CPUs have a mathematical side and logical side, don't they? The mathematical side literally carries out mathematical equations and instructions, etc, kind of like a GPU, but not as efficiently or as well. The thing that CPUs are more specialized in is logic -- or like carrying out a program's instructions and stuff; if a GPU took the place of a CPU, it would struggle to do these things, whereas the CPU would struggle to render material.
EDIT :: Actually, it wouldn't matter...almost. If Pi were calculated on a CPU and GPU, you would get a result that would give you an idea of how many more operations per second one could do over the other.
So in that case, how is the GPU different? How can the GPU do math better than a CPU? Pi -- how would the GPU be able to calculate (for example) 32 million digits faster than a CPU? What IS this factor or thing?
Wow, now I'm really curious. I might modify my topic question to have something to do with CPUs vs GPUs and the MHz difference. o_o