How much data do you use monthly?

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
I started looking into various smartphones and data plans for them but this makes me wondering - how much monthly bandwidth do i need for internet browsing and e-mail downloading?

Ok i know this is completly dependant on frequency and browsing habits but would i feel very restricted with 100MB?

I use about 250mb a month, but thats with only emails on constant sync, web browsing 1-2 hours a day, 5-6 app downloads and like mabey 5 youtube vidoe streams a month. If you can keep all your app downloads and youtube to wifi then you should be able to sneak it with 100mb.

but I find 500mb for light users perfect, gives you the room to see those few videos posted on [H]s front page news links and do some app downloads without being at home.

Last edited:
Yes, 100MB would be incredibly restricting based on my usage. My average use over the last 12 months is 2.1GB. I frequently listen to Pandora and I upload a ton of pictures of my daughter. I do most of that on wifi as well, so it would probably be 5x if it was all on the cell network.

I use on average 1gb a month, I rarely ever use wifi at home and just stay connected to the 3g network 99% of the time

I use about 500mb per month..or if I go out of town for a week or two with no internet I use about 2-3gb.

Before I got FIOS a couple weeks ago and was using my phone for my internet connection for 4 months, I was using my supposed max of 5GB per month easily, I would have to pay attention to not go over.

Now that I have real internet and connect my phone through wifi at home, used ~500mb in 2 weeks.

how do you guys use so much?? lol, I struggle to hit 300mb unless im downloading a ton of apps. Then again i dont use youtube or do facebook often.

500-750mb but not having my phone at work cuts down a lot, or else would watch the blocked youtube vids on my phone, haha.

On a Sprint Touch Vogue... on WinMo I used about 15MB/mo. when I flashed the rom to Froyo I jumped up straight up 290MB. I imagine it would be much higher with new gen smartphone.

While I only use about a gig a month on my android smartphone, I used 1gb in 5 days on my iPad with 3g connected, Mind you this is with the stupid 2gb cap since i got my ipad in july :/ Now I just tether my ipad from my captivate.

While I only use about a gig a month on my android smartphone, I used 1gb in 5 days on my iPad with 3g connected, Mind you this is with the stupid 2gb cap since i got my ipad in july :/ Now I just tether my ipad from my captivate.

Holy crap. 1GB in 5 days with an ipad? Streaming videos or what? Though when I had my EVO the marketplace for some reason pulled down 5gbs in 7days.

That's some scary figures :)

I think I;ll go for 200 MB then since bigger ones in here tend to make data plan way too premium for my taste ;)

~50mb (unlimited data) - It would be allot more if T-mobile allowed tethering and I flat out refuse to by a separate dongle from them.

It's funny last time their marketing guys phoned me, I explained my stance on this. They have never phoned me again..:D

Not a whole lot. Couple hundreds mb at the most. I have a shitty BlackBerry that I can't wait to ditch and you can only do so much with it. I can't wait until the spring when I can upgrade and grab the latest Droid or WP7.

wow, since 8/22 ( start of a new billing cycle) I've used 1.4 GB. It's been a busy week lol.

Rooting and re D/L ing the 2.2 patch twice, along with streaming live.twit.tv will take its toll

Now I've got the hotspot, this could be a big month.

Do any of you large users ever use wifi?

I have wifi at home and work, the 2 places where I use the most data. Only time I really use much is when I'm traveling a lot.

With the EVO, I tend to not have wifi enabled unless I'm uploading large files, the phone streams vids nicely in 3G as well. I would like to just turn everything on and forget about it, but the battery can only hold so many electrons

with the blackberry I only used about 250mb max and on average 150mb. after moving to the captivate i used 1.5gb. basically a 10x increase because the bb sucked at everything except texting and emails.

With the EVO, I tend to not have wifi enabled unless I'm uploading large files, the phone streams vids nicely in 3G as well. I would like to just turn everything on and forget about it, but the battery can only hold so many electrons

Doesn't your wifi turn off automatically when the phone isn't in use? Isn't your wifi faster than 3G making it take less time, and thus less battery, to download something?

I racked up over 4GB the first month I had my android, but since then I've brought it down a good bit by using wifi when at home. Think I'm closer to 2GB per month now.

Last edited:
Now that I use Wifi Hotspot on my Android quite often I would say I am in the 6-7GB range a month. Good thing my phone is on a nice corporate plan though :)

Doesn't your wifi turn off automatically when the phone isn't in use? Isn't your wifi faster than 3G making it take less time, and thus less battery, to download something?

I don't think so, if the wifi attaches, it keeps the connection going. I usually turn off everything except for mobile network to get the most battery life - I rarely if ever use 4G.

600mb on sprint network using touch pro 2 some tethering involved like couple times a month

800-900 mb usually. I check email/Facebook/eBay and surf on the network (ATT), everything else on Wi-Fi.

~1.5 GB a month or so. Heavy maps usage, along with a fair bit of web browsing. I also tether a fair bit. This is on a rooted/OCed Droid running Froyo.

Usually about 500mb/mo. on iPhone 4. Went up to 8.6GB this month cause I went on a week-long trip and used the phone as a hotspot for myself and 3 others.

Usually around 500mb but it's been increasing. August hasn't show up but July was just a little over 700mb but there was several days I was using it out on the road. I stream a lot of slacker radio, jpop stations and twit when driving. I figured it would be gigabytes but I really have to work use this much. People using gigabytes must have zero wifi access or something.

Back