How much curve?

Jeff G

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at getting an ultrawide.
Curious what people think of the curve.
They seem to range from the x34's 3800R down to the CF791's 1500R.
I like the x34 for the gsync, but wonder if the 3800R curve doesn't give the immersive experience of the steeper curves. Is the 1500R too much though? I dont have a way to view these monitors before purchase, so I'm hoping some people who have seen them might offer insight.

My experience with my 49" TV that has a 3000R curve is that it's perfect for that size at a distance of 3-4 feet. Even though the monitor is half the width as my TV I would imagine that the 1500R would be too steep unless it's less than a foot away from your face. The issue is that the edge of the screen starts to enter your periphery and can give you a false sense of depth since the image is still being rendered to a flat surface regardless of the curvature of your monitor. I think it's agreed upon that 1800R is optimal for desktop usage on a 16:9 monitor. I don't know what it would be for 21:9, but Samsung seems to make a good argument for 1500R.
upload_2017-12-13_11-41-48.png

The issue I have with that reasoning extends from the point above is that with games, the rendering plane is flat. If it was spherical, then it would make sense to me. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure if it's right for you is to test it yourself.

i had the new 40 inch philips which had the 3000R curve and that was just perfect for me, it felt flat, but immersive without being distracting with the curve which i usually am.

I just picked up an Alienware 34” curves with a 1900r.

I was worried it would be too curved, but it is not for me personally. I wouldn’t want it any stronger curved. This is plenty.

I almost pulled the trigger on a x34, but the 3800R curve kinda turned me off. I'm really wanting the immersion that a decent curve gives but was afraid the 3800R wouldnt have that effect.
Sounds like 1800R - 2000R is the best range.

Also, this will be used 100% for gaming at a desk where the monitor is probably around 18-20" away.
No movies or anything, and just me using it (not worried about viewing angles).

I have a 34UC88 and love the curve. A few days ago I hooked up my old 27" 4K just to see what I've been missing with the higher PPI, and it seemed very distorted looking at a flat screen. I'm sure I could get used to going back to flat, but I prefer the curve. With a wider screen the curve is great. I anxiously await a 5K ultrawide for the increased PPI, but the LG announced one isn't curved, so I don't think I'd consider it.

Back