How much better is 64 bit than 32 bit XP?

Axiom7

Limp Gawd
I have an opty 148 running win xp 64 bit edition. I do not currently run any sort of 64 bit apps. I am thinking of switching back to the 32 bit edition so I can use some programs that dont work on 64 bit. Is it really that much more efficent to run 64 bit edition than 32 bit? I really dont have any use for 64 bit cuz I only run 32 bit apps.

You are pretty much right. If you don't have 64-bit apps, then you don't get much benefit from a 64-it OS. Once more apps are there, then it will be very nice.

i had xp x64 since last year... what a pain. the os is fine, but the support with certain products is horrible.

i just went back to xp pro sp2. whether or not its more efficient as an os is overshadowed by lack of drivers.

therefore, its less efficient for me.

I think that I am in the same boat as you gigabit.

Thanks for the info

I have been using Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for over a year now. I have rarely if ever faced any application incompatibility and I have had at least the performance of the 32bit variant and then some.

The performance of the 64bit version is better than that of the 32bit variety. Plus I needed the 64bit variant in order to use all of my systems memory. Also Windows XP Professional x64 Edition seems to be much snappier and more responsive on dual processor machines than the 32bit counterpart.

The only issue I have had is the lack of video capture drivers for the 64bit OS. Other than that, I haven't had to use the 32bit version for anything. I highly recommend XP x64 Edition.

Gigabit said:
i had xp x64 since last year... what a pain. the os is fine, but the support with certain products is horrible.

i just went back to xp pro sp2. whether or not its more efficient as an os is overshadowed by lack of drivers.

therefore, its less efficient for me.

Really? I have found adequate drivers for almost all mainstream hardware. I have really had a very different experience than you have it seems.

Langford said:
You are pretty much right. If you don't have 64-bit apps, then you don't get much benefit from a 64-it OS. Once more apps are there, then it will be very nice.

There aren't a lot of applications yet, but there are more and more games supporting it, and you can run 32bit apps with a negligible performance impact. Some 32bit apps run even better on XP 64 than on the 32bit version of the OS. So why not run it?

I would say that if you have a legal copy of Windows XP Professional or Home Edition that there is no reason to buy Windows XP Professional x64 Edition at this time. The performance improvements aren't worth the money. On the other hand, if you need to buy an OS now, I would grab the 64bit OS vs. the 32bit OS unless you need drivers for something specific that doesn't have drivers for the 64bit OS.

What annoys me

i install x64 as well, installed IE7beta for 64, Daemon tools for x64

but checking in task manager the exe's show *32 beside them so i assume they are runnig in the emulated 32 bit environment and not 32bit

WTF! is with that!

rihgt now there is zero reason to use xp64 unless you have true 64bit applications.

MrGuvernment said:
What annoys me

i install x64 as well, installed IE7beta for 64, Daemon tools for x64

but checking in task manager the exe's show *32 beside them so i assume they are runnig in the emulated 32 bit environment and not 32bit

WTF! is with that!

rihgt now there is zero reason to use xp64 unless you have true 64bit applications.

That is the fault of the programers that made those applications. My 64bit games don't do that and my 64bit IE doesn't either. Though I am not running the IE7 Beta at this time.

Even when the integrated 32bit emulator runs in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, there isn't a noticable performance hit and the stability is there. So what's the problem?

There may not be many, but if there is a software problem with 64-bit, it's not going to be all 64-bit in general, it's probably just going to be XP 64-bit. Why? Becasue of Vista. The upcoming release of Vista cuts XP64's lifespan short. Vista will probably have great product support, but XP64 will not be on enough desktops for software makers to put a lot of long-term effort into. Support in a lot of cases will be incedental or handled through 32-bit mode. That doesn't mean no one will support it, becasue some programmers rely on that demographic, but the average user has a 32-bit version of Windows, and won't get a 64-bit version until a new computer comes with it.

Dan_D said:
That is the fault of the programers that made those applications. My 64bit games don't do that and my 64bit IE doesn't either. Though I am not running the IE7 Beta at this time.

Even when the integrated 32bit emulator runs in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, there isn't a noticable performance hit and the stability is there. So what's the problem?

Everything has been running, i wont complain, so far my only issue is Counterstrike 1.6 - it will start, choose a server, crash :(

running Office beta as well on this and so far so good.

IMO, it's worse, solely because of the lack of full-force driver and device support. If you want to go x64, make damn-well sure everything you have hooked up is going to work and that the drivers for your main components are quality.

I just installed xp pro 32 bit. I like it way better that I can play Sim City 2000!!!!!! :D :D :D

IK, Its an oldie but a goodie!!!

I've been playing around with both on my dual opty 248 lately, haven't really made up my mind on which one I like better. I'm going to try and dual-boot them once I get the refund from the Raptor that lived for 18 hours. I swore off Western Digital, then I took it back and got a Raptor. I'm an idiot.

Back