How much bandwidth does F@H consume?

apHytHiaTe

2[H]4U
Lets just say per computer or for 100 computers. Assume that they are WinXP SP2. My school shares bandwidth with an ISP, so basically we get a free T1 line. Boss concerned that we'll suck up too much bandwidth if we fold.

barely none.. After done with a canidate it just sends information.

The initial downloading of the cores could take up a little bit....especially if they all download at once....but you can get around that by copying the cores manually.

After that I think unless you have large packets on you are lookin at like iirc 1-5 MB when it uploads and then fetches a new work unit.

Couple that with the fact that each client only connects maby once every day....or every other day depending on the blocksize and hwo fast the computer is.

So yes, there will be more bandwidth used, but it isint a huge constant drain on the T1.

If you are looking at 100 computers total over the T1, other than the initial rollout if all of the computers are downloadin the core's at the same time, you wont even notice an effect on your WAN link.

Standard WU's are less than 5mb. Each machine might be sending/recieving a few of these per week. There are also big packet wu's that may be around 20mb and even the fastest desktop cpu's can only do a couple per week. You have to do some special configuration to get big packets. So network impact would be negligable.

apHytHiaTe said:
Lets just say per computer or for 100 computers. Assume that they are WinXP SP2. My school shares bandwidth with an ISP, so basically we get a free T1 line. Boss concerned that we'll suck up too much bandwidth if we fold.

Here is your answer right from the man himself- Vijay Pande - 1meg per processor per day as long as large WU are not enabled. Here is a link to an interview conducted by Team Mac OS X's .....Noah J. Vijay Interview
It is very interesting! :cool:

Are the big packet units really around 20mb? That would take quite a while to upload.

wraieghaeien said:
The initial downloading of the cores could take up a little bit....especially if they all download at once....but you can get around that by copying the cores manually.
If you run a proxy server, it has the same effect; you only actually download them once and then the proxy dissemenates them from then on.

True that Unhappy mage.

I totally spaced that 8).

At that point yah, the core would only be downloaded 3 times. 8)

pduan87 said:
Are the big packet units really around 20mb? That would take quite a while to upload.

No the big units are not 20 megs right now but the big packet option will allow for WU up to 20MB!

OK well I don't mind running only small WU's. They add up. Probably better that way as we are talking P4 1.7-3.0 with mostly 256 megs of RAM. A couple have 512.

Back