How much bandwidth does a vid card take up?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Rob94hawk, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

My Z87 board is crapping out and I was thinking of upgrading to a Z97 board. Yes I know It's a dead socket.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813130843?Item=9SIAFVV8GH0177

The question I have is, If I use my 780GTX and use the M.2 PCIe with an M.2 NVMe SSD, will there be a bottleneck?

1x M.2 port*
    - M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module
    - M.2 port supports M.2 PCIe module up to 10Gb/s speed**
    - M.2 port supports 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length module
    - Supports RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10***

* The SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a module in the M.2 port.

Also, what does this mean? Thanks

** M.2 PCIe interface only supports UEFI option ROM, NOT support legacy option ROM.

2. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Z97 is going to pull PCI-E lanes from the PCH for the SATA and M.2 ports, not the CPU, meaning the video card won't factor into available bandwidth. You will have to consider how many SATA device you will be using, though, which is what the note about SATA5 and SATA 6 is referring to.

The note simply means that NVMe is only supported in UEFI mode. Just basically means you won't be able to use NVMe with an operating system older than Windows Vista.

The MSI Z97A is a good board, but that is quite expensive. I would check out our FS/FT section for one first before going to marketplace or eBay sellers.

3. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

Armenius likes this.