How much and which DRR3

lankyman

n00b
I am finally upgrading my dinosaurm

I have looked long and been patient.

I am not getting an amazing system but i am getting something which is a completely different world from what i have - AMD X2 4400+ 4 GB DDR OCZ 9800GT
To add to that , i just came off a AGP 7800 BFG , 2 GB DDR ,. MSI K7N2 .

I am getting a GTX650 , AMD X4 860K ,
MSI A88X-G43, FM2+, AMD A88X Chipset, ATX (not the colorful gamers one)
Given the board i am getting, not even sure if i need to plug in my Creative Labs X-Fi card, just use on board ?

I am not sure which memory to get and how much.

I would say i am not a hardcore gamer guy

I play the odd COD4 and try / want to try out some new games - Far Cry , not even sure what is good.

I loved games like NFSUG1/2 COD4 WARCRAFT3 , keen to try out some new games but no ideas whats cool to try and similar to ones i have mentioned.

I was thinking to get DDR3 - 4GB but not sure which speed.
I should/can get highest speed ram now for this board?
So i dont know if i must settle with 8GB one time or just get 4GB for now as a start.

Corsair Vengeance Pro, 8GB Kit, DDR3-2133, CL9 ?

If i wait, i can get RAM for free, but i dont know what speed it is and how much, i think it is 6GB , i think.

Anyways, it may take a week to 2 to get it, but i am thinking forgetting to wait and just going ahead and buying my own memory ..

not sure on your takes.

Okay, so i am worried now, which is the maximum speed this board will support ?
If i can get 2400 then great.

I thought 2133 was the max.

But now i am also concerned i am wasting my time getting good memory even because Xiphos says that i gain 5% if that.

*sad face*

2x4gb 1600-1866 mhz DDR3. Below those speeds, it can start having a significant impact in performance. Additionally, the price difference between 1333 mhz and 1866 mhz is generally negligible. 1600 and 1866 mhz kits are generally the cheapest ones at the moment. You will want two sticks for dual channel memory. You can get them for around $80.

Save money on the RAM, put that money towards a better GPU. You will get more FPS per $ getting a better GPU over better RAM.

Hi ,

Yeh i was initially going to get the FM2+ stuff with the A10 CPU family 7850 Kaveri - from what i saw so many games for playable.
I then debated and chose a CPU with no GPU because the i was happy with the 9800GT.
Lucky for me i am getting a GTX650 for 500 Rand which is really cheap here for me.
You can look easily at ~1500 Rand.

I also do not agree with spending wads of dosh on hardware because it becomes so outdated so quickly and pretty cheap to.

The AM3+ was my secondary consideration and i looked at the AMD 8350 and even the newer ones forget what they are now, but the stores that i was looking at in Hong Kong didnt even have it yet. That goes for the X4 870K.
After many posts here in the AMD/CPU section it was decided that i go ahead and get the FM2+ since it was newer technology.

Anyways, bang for buck I went for the X4 860K

Lets hope that i will enjoy this hardware and that it will kind of be a little bit future proof.
I was using the AMD K7 stuff from like 2005 through to 2014 so go figure - i was patient.
first amazing junk graphics card was the MSI 5200 FX - gees what a rubbish slow card.
I basically bought pretty old stuff at the time, i was behind like 2.5 - 3 years already.

Anyways, I have not really understood this dual channel story on the motherboards and what it actually means.

I am happy to get just 4GB of ram (then later get a clone partner for it), but after a bit of reading here it is imminent that i should get at least 8GB.
I am guessing i am not going to get a high speed 8GB stick BUT rather 2x 4GB's?

Yeh , anyways.

Else i can just wait until i get ram for free from my work colleague.
I am not sure what speed they are. I think it is 6GB , unusual number of RAM - maybe.

Last edited:
2x4 is preferable to 1x8 under all circumstances except when 32 gb is planned. 6gb will either be 3x2gb or 2x2 + 2x1.

Anything Crucial/Micron will do fine.

Micron manufactures the actual components for the modules and brands them as Crucial for the consumer market segment, so you always know which components you will get on whatever modules you choose.

But Crucial seems to have lowered its standards and now overclocks the chips more than some other companies. I saw a 1600 or 1866 MHz Ballistix made with chips rated 1333 MHz, and they weren't regular Micron but Spectek, meaning lenient grading.

But Crucial seems to have lowered its standards and now overclocks the chips more than some other companies. I saw a 1600 or 1866 MHz Ballistix made with chips rated 1333 MHz, and they weren't regular Micron but Spectek, meaning lenient grading.

If they said SpecTek, then they weren't Crucial. Both are owned my Micron.

If they said SpecTek, then they weren't Crucial. Both are owned my Micron.

Micron owns SpecTek: "As a wholly owned division of Micron Technology, SpecTek is a global leader in its own right—"

Near the end of this SpecTek factory tour video, notice that some modules were manufactured for Corsair, with chips marked "Corsair": ttp://www.spectek.com/menus/process_video.aspx

Micron also owns Crucial: "Crucial is a global brand of Micron Technology, Inc.". The logo says so:

Crucial.com-Thumb-Logo-425x317.jpg

^ I know all that. What I said was that if they were labeled SpekTek, then they weren't real Crucial modules.

Micron - business/enterprise products.
Crucial - Micron's consumer brand.
SpekTek - Micron's value and supplier brand.

Last edited:

I dont follow this, sorry,
So it is recommended i get what brand though?
I plan to buy from www.rebeltech.co.za or www.takealot.co.za
Please let me know which 4GB x2 you would recommend?

SO i want to go ahead now and buy the DDR3 ram, I could not be bothered about fastest memory such as 2000+ in megahertz so I will go with better bang for buck, and get a 1866 or 1600 or 1333 i guess.

I do not know if brand really makes a difference.

I was thinking to get 2x 4GB sticks or 1 8GB stick and then in future get another 8 GB stick.
What do you guys think

These seem s affordable and decent named to me:
Corsair ValueSelect DRR-1600 8GB
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 8GB

Back