How many W are needed?

Nagare

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2012
Messages
10
I'm putting together my first build and I can't seem to find a straight answer for this. I'm looking at an i7 3770k (which I'll probably push to 4.1), an HD 7950 (or 70 if I can get a good deal), 16GB RAM, and a 2TB HDD. PCPartPicker estimates about 420W, but AMD says at least 500W and others have said to go for 700W.

What would a reasonable recommendation for PSU be?
 
A good quality 400w power supply. What is your budget?

AMD says 500 because people buy crap power supplies that cannot output their full rated wattage, and AMD does not know what else you might put in your system (lots of extra hard drives, fans, etc).

People that say 700 watts have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
 
I'm trying to keep my budget limited to $800 more or less. Do you think this one would be considered a good one? It says 600W and has some decent reviews...plus it would be $20 after MIR.

Otherwise, I'm looking at a few different (would be $50 after MIR) ones on Newegg.
 
Ew, Thermaltake TR2. No, it's not a particularly good one, and an extremely outdated design. The lack of active PFC alone says it's a power supply that's not even worth $20.

None of those are particularly good values either.

PC Power and Cooling MKIII 500w with a free DVD burner for $50 from Newegg is a much better value, and much better suited to your needs.
 
I would choose a Kingwin Stryker 500w fanless if you are interested in silence. Or in that case a SeaSonic X400/460. Tsumi is absolutely correct about the wattages though. Don't forget about the amperage on your 12v rail as well when choosing the correct power supply.
 
Back
Top