• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How many things am I doing wrong? AM2 6400

narsbars

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
3,319
Built a box with an AMD 6400, lots of cooling fans and used the stock fan with sticky.
Worked great even if it did idle a little high. Next step I cleaned off the pad and used Arctic Silver (the original) using the "grain of rice measurement system. Temps went up to scary levels. Added a little more, still bad temps.
Then I said *(&) it! and smeared A Silver all over eight to ten grains of rice. Now it runs 10C cooler than the stock with sticky. I know I am not supposed to have to use this much.
What am I doing wrong?
 
The grain of rice method assumes that you can apply even and centered pressure while you clip the sink in. In my experience, if you wiggle the heatsink at all while you clip/screw it down, the stuff smears around and creates air bubbles if you lift it at all. If your temps are better now, I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy :)
 
I have found that for me anyways, when applying as5 (using the brush bottle) lightly coat the entire top of the cpu making sure it is evenly coated as well. Then I stick the hsf on and twist it a time or two while pushing down ever so slightly, just enough to resemble locking it in place. Then pull it staight up and off. This creates bubbles and shows where the as5 is not touching. Check the sides of CPU for any leakage, and remove if any on the sides. Reapply AS5 to both cpu and hsf in a very light and even coat. Sometimes, if you applied too much the first time, just smear it out with your finger until it is evenly coated on both cpu and heatsinkfan. put the heatsink back on the cpu and clip in place.
 
Back
Top