How many rounds of Memtest should I do?

amd_inside

Weaksauce
I have my RAM set to 2-2-2-10 @ 2.65v, and it passed three tests with no errors before I had to stop it to do some homework.

How long should I let it run?

I let mine run over night. When I woke up it was at 30 passes (I think) with 0 errors.

30 Passes? That's strange... how long do you sleep? Mine does a full loop in under 19 minutes... so 30x that is roughly 10 hrs. And 10 hours of sleep is a lot... I usually only have about 7-8..

iddqd said:
30 Passes? That's strange... how long do you sleep? Mine does a full loop in under 19 minutes... so 30x that is roughly 10 hrs. And 10 hours of sleep is a lot... I usually only have about 7-8..

I was VERY tired last night, lol.

iddqd said:
30 Passes? That's strange... how long do you sleep? Mine does a full loop in under 19 minutes...
....not if you enable "all tests", I think.....:cool:

I enable "all tests" and let it run at least overnight. "No Errors" is the only acceptable answer, IMHO.....

Party On - B.B.S.

I get SOME errors; under 20 a full run... Doesn't really have much effect on the apps I use day to day.

iddqd said:
I get SOME errors; under 20 a full run... Doesn't really have much effect on the apps I use day to day.
Even a single error means that every time the faulty section of RAM is written to, a byte's value has been changed forever. While this might not be a problem for temporary data (say, the browser's cache data), things get nasty if data is read from the HDD, written to RAM, modified, then written back again, but with a few more corrupted bytes every time. If this happens to important system files, the system will slowly become more and more unstable.

A stick of RAM with faulty sections is also far more likely to fail in the short-term.

Back