How many people does an average WoW server host ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
My brother and I were wondering how many people play on a typical WoW server ? Is it like 500 people, or like 5,000, or is it possible to hold as many as 50,000 players on one server ?

And also why do some servers have lag and others dont ? Like our east coast server blows, always getting like 150-250oing, but the Whisperwind server located central ? gives me 100 and less ping. I live in the WindyCity_burbs

Thanks

i'm also in chicago suburbs, and gilneas has been pretty good. Theres some big number discrepancies between those 2 stat programs. 17k vs. 10k for my server.

most mmo servers house arond 1000 - 3000 people playing depending on the time of day

and I thought a CoD server with 32 was a lot :eek: :eek: . I gues they don't call them massive multiplayer online... for nothing

fps servers are on one box.

mmo servers are on a cluster of boxes like the barrens is probly 2-4 computers

Goofball said:
Don't know what the exact WoW definition of a realm is. It may be one server or it may be a cluster of servers.
3 clusters per realm:
Eastern Kingdoms
Kalimdor
Instances

It's possible for any one of the three clusters (each composed of multiple machines) to eat it without taking the other two, and it's very easy to see this happen if you've got guild log on/off notices running. Any time you see a load screen, you're changing clusters.

Vanskater's numbers for at-one-time are pretty accurate for WoW.

I know that the chat channels are seperate, hence why you can chat normally even when the game is lagging badly. NPCs also tend to have their own dedicated server. Then you have log-in servers, the AH servers, ect.

Bugalaman said:
and I thought a CoD server with 32 was a lot :eek: :eek: . I gues they don't call them massive multiplayer online... for nothing
hehe a 60 player server on carentan is complete chaos. The memories....

Eve Online has had 12,000+ players online on one server at a time in one universe. There's basically a test server and main server for that game.

Pvt. Potter said:
hehe a 60 player server on carentan is complete chaos. The memories....
There is the Chicago 60 man server still going strong. But chaos is the problem since it usually plays original TDM levels which are small. If it played CTF or domination, it would not be so bad.

TimothyB said:
Eve Online has had 12,000+ players online on one server at a time in one universe. There's basically a test server and main server for that game.

Eve hosts about 100,000 total on a single "server", they don't work in the same form that other MMORPGs do though. They have a single world on a cluster while others usually have multiple worlds with each on a cluster.

sorry but ping doesnt effect a mmorpg as much as a fps. 150-250 ping is very acceptable in these types of games.

a wow realm is rumored to be capped at 5k online at the same time.

|MaguS| said:
Eve hosts about 100,000 total on a single "server", they don't work in the same form that other MMORPGs do though. They have a single world on a cluster while others usually have multiple worlds with each on a cluster.
i don't think Eve Online can even get close to 100k users...
the most i have heard is 10k on the server

Maxxx- said:
i don't think Eve Online can even get close to 100k users...
the most i have heard is 10k on the server

Here's a quote off their site:

What a way to kick off the year
For the second Sunday in a row more than 12.000 EVE players join together at the same time in the same unsharded, persistent, virtual world. Creating yet again the biggest shared online community in history. Thanks to all participating for making this possible.

Back