How many of you are on MobileMe

elleana

2[H]4U
... and is the convenience it brings worth $99?

In the grand scheme of things it works out to something like 30 cents a day, but I'm wondering if I even should pay for such a service given that gmail, picasa and any number of free alternatives exist, albeit in different places while mobileme is all in one place. I'll admit, I like having a @me.com address (my first and second gmail choices belong to someone else, boo) and it seems awesomely integrated for an iPhone user.

Somewhat unrelated but - anyone change main email addresses before? How much of a pain was it to update all your contacts?

PS I /could/ ask on a mac-centric website, but I suspect the signal to noise ratio caused by fanboys is less over here. Just gotta weed out the haters though :D

I used the trial for a bit, but in the end I decided the service wasn't worth the cost. It would be more cost effective to pay for the services you would use separately with other providers, since most would end up being free anyway.

Personally, I'm fine with Gmail and the other Google applications (which all sync seamlessly to my iPhone with Google Mobile Sync), and I use Dropbox and Mozy to substitute for the iDisk storage and backup features.

I signed up for the trial and forgot about it and ending up accidentally buying a years subscription. I really like the backup application and the idisk... I also have two macs and the syncronization (bookmarks, keychains, calendars) is pretty sweet.

I think if I were an iphone owner, i'd definitely renew, but I'm not, so it's not really worth it for me.

I have a total of 5 Apple computers, and I have been using .Mac (Mobile Me) for over 6 years now.

I cannot see owning a Mac without it. It's the best service around for syncing events, documents, contact lists, and sharing galleries. I use it to sync all of my calenders (i update it on my iPhone and it's automatically updated in the cloud) and for my contacts lists/notes/to do lists/etc.

The power of Mobile Me is in its seamless integration with all of your macs and with the iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone I can see the service loosing some of it's appeal.

For example, on my last trip I took a bunch of snapshots and videos and uploaded them from my iPhone 3GS to my Mobile Me web gallery, and emailed the link to my friends.

Plus, the find my iPhone feature online is pretty effin sweet!

I've been using .Mac/MobileMe for a while now, +4 years. The crux of my decision was ease of use, maintaining synchronization of preferences+keychain+calendars+etc across numerous machines and now iPhones/Touches. I wanted something that just worked, I didn't want to worry about compatibility, or spending my valuable time searching for solutions. For me it's a business expense.

Obviously my favorite feature is automatic synchronization and was worth the cost to me. I don't use MobileMe as a my primary email. I do use iWeb & iPhoto publishing, albeit marginally. I do use Delicious Monster which integrates with MobileMe.

All that said I'm very happy with Google Apps which I use for both personal and business activities. I've been experimenting with Windows Live. When I find the time, or when the expense isn't worth it to me, I'll look into other solutions.

kmenson brought up an excellent point I forgot about!! Syncing of all of your keychains (passwords), bookmarks, OS X settings, etc.

Every time I buy a new mac I just enter my mobile me info and it downloads all of the synced data. It's so seamless and easy I honestly forgot it was part of mobile me.

:)

On the trial now, debating if I want it. Seems like a lot of $$$ for the FindMyiPhone feature (only reason Im using it).

i've never used MobileMe (or it's predecessor .Mac) but I use Google apps + DropBox and I'm perfectly happy. Google works great for email, syncing my calendars and my contacts, then dropbox handles backing up my files and allowing me to share them. I don't have an iPhone (Blackbery Storm FTW), so the MobileMe wouldn't help me there (but Google Sync does). The only thing that MobileMe would offer me over my existing configuration would be the 20gb of storage, which I use only 4% of the 2gb's of storage I have with DropBox. Pretty much makes MobileMe not worth it for me.

I guess it just depends on how tech savy you are and what devices you use. I will say it seems like a pretty reasonable price if you can move all of your stuff over.

As a side note, I just checked DropBox's website to see if they offered any pay plans for more place. for $99/year you can get 50gb of storage, and 100gb for $199/year. Just thought I'd share.

FYI you can change your mobile me settings so you can have up to 19gb of data space.

I have a Family Pack for 149$ which includes 5 accounts.

It's a great solution for my wife and I's iPhone's and macs, my main reason for getting it is for the find my iPhone feature. Yes I know there's jailbroken apps but I'm not going to deal with the headaches of getting it all to work properly.

I REALLY like the iDisk, being able to share large files online with friends easily. I keep all my important documents stored on there for a backup and having everything sync with an iPhone is like having my own personal Exchange enviornment, albeit I've got Exchange on my phone too, but it's for work and I'd rather keep them separate.

I'm seriously considering selling my two available idle accounts for a subscription fee to someone, heh.

I have a Family Pack for 149$ which includes 5 accounts.

It's a great solution for my wife and I's iPhone's and macs, my main reason for getting it is for the find my iPhone feature. Yes I know there's jailbroken apps but I'm not going to deal with the headaches of getting it all to work properly.

I REALLY like the iDisk, being able to share large files online with friends easily. I keep all my important documents stored on there for a backup and having everything sync with an iPhone is like having my own personal Exchange enviornment, albeit I've got Exchange on my phone too, but it's for work and I'd rather keep them separate.

I'm seriously considering selling my two available idle accounts for a subscription fee to someone, heh.

Hit me up if you are selling them.

im not but ive been considering it since Ive gotten my iphone. find my iphone is really pushing me, but the $100 a year is shoving hard the other way lol

I am, but I'm going to play with an exchange server of my own to see what sort of functionality I can still keep and if I'm willing to give up some things to save the cash.

I currently am on the free trial, and frankly, I'm not impressed enough to pay for the service. I am much like several others here, if I were to use an iPhone, this service would definitely be worth the $99 a year alone, but alas, I do not use an iPhone, and its constant reminders when i'm using my macbook pro and someone is using my mac mini, not impressed.

The service just costs way too much money. You can get all the same features from free services. If it was less than half the cost and was more customizable, then maybe,

Thanks to all who mentioned dropbox! I downloaded it last night, and it is really amazing. I was thinking about MobileMe, but this will definitely do until I get an iPhone that needs syncing.

I currently am on the free trial, and frankly, I'm not impressed enough to pay for the service. I am much like several others here, if I were to use an iPhone, this service would definitely be worth the $99 a year alone, but alas, I do not use an iPhone, and its constant reminders when i'm using my macbook pro and someone is using my mac mini, not impressed.

It really is geared towards iPhone users, I am trying to see if they have this for a corporate environment. I like the track iphone and wipe phone remotely feature.

Im using mobile me and i love it.

Granted I got a free account through work, I would definitely pay to renew it. Having my iphone contacts backed up as well as having email pushed to my phone does it for me.

Not to mention the findmyiphone feature.

get it imo

General consensus seems to be that it's worth it if you've got an iphone - otherwise no.

I just signed up for the 60 day trial today.

Gonna play with it before I decide if its valuable enough to me.

I doubt I will use the @me.com email addy much at all. Though I gotta admit it does push emails from the @me.com account to the iPhone awfully damn quick.

It really is geared towards iPhone users, I am trying to see if they have this for a corporate environment. I like the track iphone and wipe phone remotely feature.

There are features on MobileMe that are most convenient for iPhone users, but that doesn't mean the service itself is geared towards iPhone users. MM's ability to sync up data across multiple computers is incredibly useful, especially because the service doesn't really care if it's syncing with a Mac, an iPhone, or a Windows PC.

That said, I would feel a little better about Mobile Me if Apple lowered the price slightly. $99/year for syncing is a little expensive. $69/year would be better.

Thanks to those that mentioned Drop Box. I had somehow never seen it before. Actually very neat!

I have been using MobileMe since I first purchased my MacBook (2+ years). I honestly think it's great. The ability to sync all of my contacts/calenders/email/etc. from my MacBook, iPhone and any other computer is great. iDisk is also very useful. I use it to back up school documents to easily access in class and upload large files for friends. Now, if you have an iPhone, I do think that MobileMe is essential because of the "Find your iPhone" feature. There have been some major overhauls this past year and there has been some down time, but overall I am very happy with the service.

(OP here :))

After reading about all the generally good things people had to say (especially those with iPhones, yay) I went ahead and signed up for the 60 day trial. If it goes well I'm gonna pick up one of those 1/5 family subs from eBay, there's a guy selling them for slightly north of $20! That's almost a no brainer, especially with FindMyiPhone.

(OP here :))

After reading about all the generally good things people had to say (especially those with iPhones, yay) I went ahead and signed up for the 60 day trial. If it goes well I'm gonna pick up one of those 1/5 family subs from eBay, there's a guy selling them for slightly north of $20! That's almost a no brainer, especially with FindMyiPhone.

Keep in mind those family subs only have 5 gigs of online/mail/iDisk storage.

Only the primary account on the family packs have 20 gigs of storage.

Just an FYI in case you weren't aware.

Yes, on Ebay, there are also full 20GB accts avail for about $60. I plan on doing that when I have to re-up my sub.

Yup, thanks for the headsup. Its stated quite clearly in the auction 5GB. If I decide I really like it I'll pony up the 60, otherwise I think 5GB should suffice.

Can you buy renewals on eBay, or only "accounts" that they make for you from the family pack? I rather like my username and don't want to change it / re-auth my phone to another account/deal with all that mess. I'm all for saving money, but it appears you can only buy accounts and not renewals directly? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Apple has released an iDisk application for the iPhone and iPod Touch, allowing you to access MobileMe's iDisk from those devices.

iTunes advertises the following features for the iDisk app:

* View files on your iDisk
* Access Public folders
* Easily share files from your iPhone
* Quickly access recently viewed files
* View iPhone supported file types -- including iWork, Office, PDF, Quicktime and more (files larger than 20MB may not be viewable).

The new app works pretty well for me, I don't have much on my iDisk, but this isreason to use it more.

Just saw the app, might be useful in a pinch but I don't see myself getting regular mileage out of it.

Im using it mainly for the contact syncing over the air. that alone was worth the 60$ on ebay.

As far as the email, I would use it exclusively with Filters/Rules. That is the only thing stopping me from using it.

I love the ical sync support, idisk is just too slow, but a good backup for small stuff. I dont like how Windows 7 has to keep bookmarks ABC order, it screws with my head ;)

So my main reason, they overall ability to SYNC things from my iphone to mac to pc.

Worth the money at 5$/month for what you get.

I just signed up, seeing how the trial goes
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back