How many of you actually do A/V encoding on a regular basis?

Mark Larson

2[H]4U
Whenever i see a "help me out - new computer" type post made at General Hardware, i almost always see "encoding" in there.

I am surprised by this - i almost never do any encoding, and whenever i do it, its mostly temporary stuff (encoding a clip or two from my camera into MPEG, ripping a CD, that kind of stuff). It happens once in a while and nowhere near the frequency it would take to get me to look at a P4 solely because of its encoding capabilities.

As soon as someone sees "encoding" in there, the 2.6C recommendation comes out. I find this weird because i personally do very little encoding, and ALL the posters here seem to do it 24/7. :confused:

So my question to you: Do you do encoding on your PC all that often? Do you, say, have a career of ripping DVDs to DivX?

Responses on a postcard to the usual address...

i know what you mean. i've only ever done one video real project and that was helping my sister make a film for her french class. it was only about 5 minutes long.

the rest of the extent of my encoding is stuff i record with my tvcard. i have a 2.4c oc'ed to about 3.1. i can encode directly to divx with my pvr software. when i do this, the pvr uses around 60% of my total (both) cpu. if i encode to mpeg instead of divx, it uses 20-30%.

I encode all the time.

I got about every input of my ALL IN WONDER 9800 PRO plugged into something on my 3.0ghz P4 system.

I'll record Most Extreme Elimination Challenge off of Spike TV, Dave Chapelle's Show off of Comedy Central, and occationally a Cosby Show episode here or there for my collections.

Other then that, I've filmed quite a few movies at LANs interviewing different people and such. I'll encode the raw data and dump it into Adobe Premier 7.0.

Usually it spits out video in a timely fashion without any problems. There is a rendering time wait for when I do massive transitions and such.

As for career in video, I've worked with video production for over 10 years from Video Toaster, Pinnacle Edition, to AAVid Mac-based systems.

Psyko M.

Right now it's mostly converting my old Laserdisks over to DVD and DIVX with an occasional friend wanting something off video tape. I use a 3.0Gig P4C for this with Adobe Premiere Pro. Once I get finished with that it will probably taper back off, that is unless I eat another scorpion and get the urge to video tape it ;)

1. DVD -> XviD ripping, all the time
2. All-in-Wonder TV capture -> Mpeg2, once in a while
3. When I was in film class, messing with Premiere a lot (I got fed up with the school's G4s and Final Cut Pro and did everything at home - macs sure crash a lot)

The thing is, I send all these jobs to another computer, somewhere in the house. When it's there it won't affect performance on my main system at all; it can just sit and work until it's done.

It's not a career, honest... just a hobby.

Originally posted by Mark Larson
I'm almost scared to ask: Link to video?

Haha, the scorpion comes from the vodka, www.skorppio-vodka.com but the last video I shot is currently classified and not for public consumption. Although Kyle has seen it. It was captured and edited on the P4, but technically the "final" edit where I bleeped the swearing was finished on this A64. It's slower than the P4 with Adobe Premiere (their CPU optimizations), but most of the heavy work had already been completed by then anyway.

i encode tv shows to svcd and re-encode dvds to fit on dvdrs about every other day. and my computer is only a 1.3gzh tbird:eek:

once a week. okay twice a week. okay, okay, okay, like 4 or 5 times a week.

DVD stuff. some video cassettes.

pRon...hehe

Originally posted by DeepFreeze
once a week. okay twice a week. okay, okay, okay, like 4 or 5 times a week.

DVD stuff. some video cassettes.

pRon...hehe

That's what I'm talk'n bout!

Psyko M.

I do a lot of encoding...

I do a Band DVD for the schools' Marching Band, so I do quite a lot of it...And yet I don't make a penny...But oh well, it's fun to do...

I do a lot of CD ripping, and the occasional DVD ripping. Not sure why a 2.6C would be recommended :confused: I cant justify paying twice as much over my XP 2800+ to encode a mp3 4 seconds faster :D

DVD ==> DviX = All the time!

DVD ==> XviD = Haven't started doing it yet, but soon... all the time!

I encode often. Home videos, projects, vidcaptures, etc. I still have an AMD rig b/c I didn't have the money for Intel and I needed something that could get the job done at a more decent pace compared to my p3-500.

DVD ripping and CD ripping most of the time. Fast enough on my AthlonXP 2400+, running at 200*11.

I've just recently started doing a lot of vhs to dvd on my rig. You'd be surprised how much people will pay to have home movies converted to dvd.

Originally posted by laban
I've just recently started doing a lot of vhs & 8mm to dvd on my rig. You'd be surprised how much people will pay to have home movies converted to dvd.

oops went, to edit... and hit quote :rolleyes:

Back