How many LAN ports are in your walls?

IveBeenBad

[H]F Junkie
I just ran some more lines today and decided to tally it up, I'm at a measly 7...

i jsut drill a hole in the wall and stick the cables through it...

i only have 1 such hole so far, but soon to be 2

scottatwittenberg said:
i jsut drill a hole in the wall and stick the cables through it...

i only have 1 such hole so far, but soon to be 2

I had to do that for my parents computer downstairs... drilled a hole in the floor and ran cable throught it. The way the house is designed, the top level overhangs the bottom, so the hole is about 2 feet from the uupstairs wall :p

i got a box here with 30 some keystones and wall plates i never got around to installing..

doh..

Hmm in my house? Zero cause its a duplex :D
However the new dorm i just wired up last friday had 2 jacks per room, for 4 floors with 28 rooms per floor, 224 ports had to be patched to 6 switches. That was fun times

not!

lol

there are 3 plates with one network jack, one plate with a network jack and 2 coax cables, one plate with 3 network jacks but i had to unscrew that and have cable running out behind that goes directly to a plug, that's where the main hub is, then 2 with just holes in the wall with cables that go directly to plugs, and we also have wireless.

Non since I am in an apartment, but once I get into a House, I am going to be wiring it up. Not sure how many I will have though.

24 plus an 802.11g network with 2 access points.

2 in the garage
2 in each bedroom (x3)
4 in my office
4 in LR
2 in kitchen
2 in FR
4 in basement

23 ports used on my 24 port patch panel

6 in my room :)
two or so in every other room...
RG6QS coax is also run to every jack

Me? 0. I run cat5 throughout my room, across floors and under rugs. I'm ghetto, but have no choice since I rent :(

nomar said:
24 plus an 802.11g network with 2 access points.

2 in the garage
2 in each bedroom (x3)
4 in my office
4 in LR
2 in kitchen
2 in FR
4 in basement

Why do you have them in the kitchen?

IveBeenBad said:

this is hardforum not softforum...

go big or go home, thats pretty cool two in the kitchen hahahaha your addicted

uh isnt wireless just easier ;\

i mean we got wireless-g and it runs fine for laptop use around the house

Snikku said:

I tend to trasfer large amounts of data so wireless wont cut it for me. Plus, I live in interference hell.

Bah. I just run Cat-5 in the carpet corners and across the ceilings.

i still live at home...
so my nexus is cofined to my room. 2 PCs and a modded xbox and a 27 inch toshiba all on my desk. all on my 3com modem and my MS router (yes, microsoft... its actually one of the best i've used.)

when i buy a house, the first thing that goes in, is the cat5/6/maybe 7. min 2 ports in each room, phone and cable all in the same box.

i would have ports in the kitchen... and the garage, and the attic... hell, i'll put some outside, and in the crawlspace, provided i dont have a basement

IveBeenBad said:

Hacked 3com Audrey - digital picture frame, check the weather, quick IM client. And I did this before I got 802.11g. Now my 2nd wireless AP is there too.

Snikku said:

Sure... try streaming VOB or high end MPEG2 files over your wireless network. I just watched Apocalypse Now Redux in full DVD quality streamed over my network last week. And who knows what appliances will use ethernet in the next few years. And there are a lot of interference and related problems with wireless.

GotNoRice said:
Bah. I just run Cat-5 in the carpet corners and across the ceilings.

Yup. I do the same. I rent. When I own, you can damn well be sure there will be at least 2 jacks per room including the bathrooms. :D It's really amazing what you can do with moulding. The woman would berate me because of the cables, so I just threw some moulding around and ran it through that. Works pretty well.

nomar said:
Sure... try streaming VOB or high end MPEG2 files over your wireless network. I just watched Apocalypse Now Redux in full DVD quality streamed over my network last week. And who knows what appliances will use ethernet in the next few years. And there are a lot of interference and related problems with wireless.

Uh Dude, with speed booster and wireless G, I Watch videos of my main computer to my laptop on the other side of the house and theres no delay or interference.. YOu must have some applicances running at the same frequency or be over some type of barrier

In my basement shop, I have a total of 56 jacks. This includes voice, data, and video. I know it's probably overkill :)

Back