how many hours of rpime for break in

2gigs

[H]ard|Gawd
ok, i took 10 hrs at 2200 mhz, now im at 2600, and im priming it, should i leave it at this,

Not to crap on your thread man but silicon doesn't "break in". You can test for stability using prime but your processor is not "stretching it's legs" perse.. I don't think that you'll gain any additional overclocking head room by running it at high voltages / speeds.

Actually its a debated topic. Some people have shown signifiant gains from breaking in a processor, and others have no luck. The has been enough either way to say its possible. Myself personally have had no luck with burning in. My 2 Opteron 170s did not respond to it.

First one would not no matter what I did go above 2540.
My Second one wouldnt get past 2745.

I remember thinking that my 1900+ back in the day went a little faster as it became 'burned in' (could very well have been placebo)

However, even though the silicon doesn't change, doesn't the thermal paste have to 'burn in'?

Break in is a myth. You'll find your chip running faster after the initial setup and testing simply because you'll spend time tweaking voltages, RAM, etc.

mmm for me burning in worked.

I ran dual instances of cpuburn and i'm now able to run my overclock at a slightly lower voltage.

If i recall the settings correctly, i had a rough time getting the overclock stable at 1.46 voltage. I burned in the cpus for over 20 hours at 1.48. I've been running my clocks at 1.46 for abouta month now with no issues what so ever. This is cpu prime/game stable. It could be very well that the cpu paste settles down but, I'm not so sure about that one.

My cpu has been naked from the 2nd or 3rd day i owned this cpu =)

The ONLY time I ever noticed burning in to work was with an old Celeron 433. When I bought it, it would not run at all above 542(83FSB, stable). After well over a year of running it at that speed I tried to overclock it higher, and 585(90FSB) worked stable and I was able to post at 617(95FSB).

Since then, I've never had this happen on any other processor including my P4C 2.4 which has been running at 3.4 for almost a year now.

I know there is a way to burn-in broken, half-dead Athlon XPs. It requires an oven or an electric heater to raise it's temps very high, after which you let it cool off. It's important that you heat and keep it at that for 10-15 minutes at a stable high temp. 49% chance of success guaranteed :)

sp1nfer said:
I know there is a way to burn-in broken, half-dead Athlon XPs. It requires an oven or an electric heater to raise it's temps very high, after which you let it cool off. It's important that you heat and keep it at that for 10-15 minutes at a stable high temp. 49% chance of success guaranteed :)

:confused:

I've never heard of anything like that before.

sp1nfer said:

oh yeah, i like to blowtorch my new opterons. overclocks much higher, every time! I also found out that putting my old athlon xp's under my car tire overnight really helps strengthen the die allowing me to attach bigger, heavier heatsinks without cracking! :rolleyes:

You know, this is a little off topic, but piss makes a great fluid to put in your coolant loops. Nothin' like a little urine to keep things running smoothly. Need proof? You work better full of coffee and soda, and you piss like mad. You're running smooth on piss. Oh yeah.

. . .

Too much?

Back