How many have 17" laptops which they use for school?

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
just curious, im about to order the 9300. Im going to be lugging it around all the time as well........

Thats awefully big to be lugging around school and using in class. I sometimes feel my 15 widescreen is too big.

its big and heavy, i dont take it to class unless necessary. i got it with the intention of using it as a DTR.

It is not the weight of the 9300 that is the problem.

It is the physical size. 17" notebook is large. I have had 2 of them now.

My Toshiba 17" I had was heavy. It definately broke the 12lb mark. The 9300 is light as a feather compared to that old Toshiba.

The weight will not kill you. The size will be the hardest feature to overcome.

That being said, it is a fantastic laptop. And it could very well be used in a classroom setting. I know there was plenty of desk space for it to be placed at the University I attended.

do NOT get a 17" notebook for college, unless you plan on leaving it in your room.

i have an HP zd7000 (approx 9.3lbs) and this thing is a beast to carry. and i am by no means a small or even average sized person. even being 6'2" at 260lbs i find this thing to be a beast to carry. at least w/ a standard notebook bag.

if you buy a backpack that will fit the 17" screen, then that should be fine. the backpack will allow proper weight distribution of the laptop across your shoulders, instead of a 15lbs bag w/ a neckstrap killing your shoulder and neck.

for a college student i would recommend nothing larger than a 15.4" notebook for class, and just build a gaming desktop if you need to game. of course, the plus of carrying around a 17" notebook is over time you get a little workout for your shoulders and neck and back. :p but it could also lead to back damage and such... which would suck. :(

so its your call. myself as a 17" notebook owner, i would advise against it, but to each his own.

TSS Modder said:
do NOT get a 17" notebook for college, unless you plan on leaving it in your room......

Quoted for truthfulness. I initially bought an i9300 and while very pleased with the computer it was simply incompatible with bringing it to class and such. It is a very bad choice for mobility. I would also suggest 15.4 or below. Some of the asus notebooks have fairly decent prices yet some meaty graphics options.

My 15 inch widescreen doesn't fit on a lot of student desks, If you plan on lugging it around everywhere get a 15inch 4x3 or something small, unless you plan on playing games watching videos....

TSS Modder said:
do NOT get a 17" notebook for college, unless you plan on leaving it in your room.
Yet another QFT here.

Even with a backpack that fits a 17inch laptop plus your books and lunch, you could tip the scales at 25-30lbs (lappy/lunch/books/AC adapter/backpack/etc). With that much of a load in a backpack, you will have the look of a reverse pregnancy and ask girls with a large rack how much their back hurts (if you can do it without getting slapped, that is). Also a 17in is ginormous in most classroom settings and only really good for hiding behind if you plan on sleeping in class.

Rune75 said:
Also a 17in is ginormous in most classroom settings and only really good for hiding behind if you plan on sleeping in class.
I like the way you think :D

lol, in my first year psych course there was this little asian guy i would say barely 5ft tall with this giant backpack strapped tight. Used to lug around his entire library with a 17 inch notebook and lunchbag. In winter he used to put his jacket over his backpack and everyone from then on called him "rph". Standing for "reverse pregnant/ hunchback "

I also like they way you think.

To marginally make this on topic - Please don't buy a 17 inch laptop intending to bring it to class as it is trouble

ok well how bout this question, how many of you actually bring your laptop to classes?

im not a college student yet, but lets just say that this laptop leaves its little g[H]etto woodblock stand maybe 6 times a year. ;)

I brought my laptop to class once in 5 years. It was a 14" Inspiron 3800 so it was not even that big. I still just had no use for it.

The nice thing about my laptop was going home for break. Instead of disassembling a big desktop I just dropped the laptop in my bag and I was off.

Foz2001 said:
just curious, im about to order the 9300. Im going to be lugging it around all the time as well........
I'm in the same boat as you... but I don't care. I look forward to whipping out that thing in class and playing doom 3 and failing my classes.

slowbiz said:
I'm in the same boat as you... but I don't care. I look forward to whipping out that thing in class and playing doom 3 and failing my classes.

Congratulations future "That Guy"

I've got a 9300 I take around in a shoulder bag - it's not that bad (usually with several books too). I haven't really used it in class, but it works pretty much everywhere else (like right now in a study hall).

I carry my i9300 EVERYWHERE in my Booq Boa XL

The backpack is a bit expensive, for sure, but I really find it incredibly protective, and will fit a couple school books, plus supplies for a few classes. Alot of stuff does stay in my car, and I switch out between classes, but I really do not find the weight of my i9300 to be overbearing

The ONLY thing I suggest if you opt for the backpack I have, is that you modify the waist belt to clip together in the middle, instead of on the sides, as I cannot get it to be functional, the way it comes. It is sad that I had to modify a 150.00 backpack to work properly, but everything else about it is so solid that To me, it was worth it. Carrying everything around on your shoulders really sucks.

I went to Otakon this year and and carried it around with me all day for 3 days straight, without any complaints after I was able to modify the hip belt.

The other suggestion I would have is a sling pack that might fit it, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing on the market. Overall, If you don't need the power of the 6800GT for school, I would recomend a smaller notebook, even dropping down to the 700M if you can deal with its tiny size. But I need 3D for CAD and other apps (read:games) but, anyways, good luck with your decision, and if you have any particular questions, fire away. Sorry for the long rant, but I hope it helped to give you my perspective a bit, even with all the naysayers out there who say it can't be done, I say it can, you just need to decide if the platform is really worth that to you, or if you should opt for something more reasonable in size, and compactness, which will make it MUCH more portable and usable in the long run.

Foz2001 said:
ok well how bout this question, how many of you actually bring your laptop to classes?
Me! Used to lug my i8200 to class every single day, now it's a Latitude X1. Sweet, precious lightweight laptop.

hmm, I need to be able to play games, and I'm going to be selling my desktop to help fund the lappy so this is def. going to have to be a desktop replacement. So I think I'll say screw it and get the 9300.

Appreciate all the input.

-Foz

Foz2001 said:
hmm, I need to be able to play games, and I'm going to be selling my desktop to help fund the lappy so this is def. going to have to be a desktop replacement. So I think I'll say screw it and get the 9300.

Appreciate all the input.

-Foz

Thats exactly what i did and got my xps

TSS Modder said:
what are you using to hold your ipod?

Its a modified belkin car ipod holder that i made

Walmart had the ipod mini holders cleareanced for less than 10 bucks, so i bought it and found the belt clip part in the cell phone area, rivited it to the cut up holder and painted it.

The only other thing i need to do to it, is epoxying some lead weight or other heavy material inside the cup as the ipod is a little off balance in it.

Back