How many case fans, and effectiveness?

Golem

n00b
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
7
Hi everyone, I`ve got about $120 left to spend on my Fans/Hard Drive/CD Burner. Here are the specs (that matter for OCing) so far:

Abit IC7 Max3
P4 2.4C (SL6Z3)
512mb Kingston HyperX PC3500
SP-94
ATI Radeon 9600xt

Well I would like to be running at around 3.2 GHZ stable, and I was wondering how much of an effect case fans will have on my temps and general overclockability. I was PLANNING on having 2 Panaflo Hi-Speed 80mm fans in the rear, with another one on the window and another in front. A 92mm Panaflo on the HSU. And a 120mm Panaflo Medium Speed (2100 RPM 86 CFM) right above the 80 in the front. This totals out to be something around $50, and I was wondering, do I REALLY need this many fans and will I see a significant/noticeable gain in the OCability on my system? Thx for any help in advance.
 
No case fans= bad

Back exhaust = bettar
Back exhaust + Front intake = best performance versus money ratio
The above, + side suckhole thingy = Pretty much maxed out
The above, plus ß2834 fans = no profit.
 
Well, in general you want atleast as many intake fans as exhaust, if possible more intake then exhaust. This isn't too many fans at all. What case? The door fan as intake helps a lot. You wanna try to keep your intake fans lower then your exhaust in general, and try to put your exhaust fans in one spot, but your intakes can be all over, a blowhole is the exception.
 
Originally posted by theTIK
Well, in general you want atleast as many intake fans as exhaust, if possible more intake then exhaust. This isn't too many fans at all. What case? The door fan as intake helps a lot. You wanna try to keep your intake fans lower then your exhaust in general, and try to put your exhaust fans in one spot, but your intakes can be all over, a blowhole is the exception.

please stop contradicting yourself. Thank you *lol*
 
Originally posted by Little Grabbi
No case fans= bad

Back exhaust = bettar
Back exhaust + Front intake = best performance versus money ratio
The above, + side suckhole thingy = Pretty much maxed out
The above, plus ß2834 fans = no profit.
^^^ agreed :D
 
Originally posted by Little Grabbi
please stop contradicting yourself. Thank you *lol*

I ment lower to the ground, thats why I said lower and not fewer.
 
Originally posted by theTIK
I ment lower to the ground, thats why I said lower and not fewer.

ah... maybe I should go off teh forams and get some sleep.

But thanks for informing me of my stupidity, after two days without sleep I seem to have needed that. lol.
 
Well I`m using a Chieftec Dragon, although its not Chieftec, but you get the idea. Yeah ok, well thx for the help everyone.
 
It's not the number and size that matter it's the Cubic Feet Per Minute(CFM). If you are in a dusty environment(dorm rooms!) then you want a little more intake than exhaust. The extra air that can't be exhausted by your fans will be forced out the little cracks around drives and other areas in the case; that keeps dust from being sucked in. Filters help with the dust problem too, at a cost of CFM.

Hot air rises.

A fan speed controller is great for fine tuning and keeping down noise when idle. Look in the FAQ(in Cool Cases) for more info.

hope that helps and good luck :cool:

Oh yeah. Welcome to the forums.
 
Back
Top