How many BFG 6800 Ultra owners get this error from time to time?

zuh.gif

Check this out: I get this error like twice a week ever since I got this card. First I had it on a Gigabyte K8NS PRO board with an Antec True Blue 480 and when I got those errors I got myself a MSI K8N Neo Platinum with an Antec True Power 550 -- yet I keep getting these errors from time to time. What the hell am I doing wrong? Both times I was giving each Molex its own direct feed and both times my rails seemed spot on to me. Is this a common problem with the Ultra as a whole, or is this a BFG problem. My gripe right now is that if I RMA it I may be asked to wait an assload of time before I can get a replacement since BFG does not seem like the type of company that would offer cross shipments.

1 74GB Raptor
1 NEC DVD + - writer
1 Vantec Nexus
1 Vantec PCI fan card
2 Vantec Tornados - (cut down by the nexus)
4 Vantec UV LED fans - (cut down by the nexus)
1 Coolermaster Cool Drive 4
2 UV cold cathodes
1 Audigy 2 ZS sound card
1 Hauppage Win TV card
1 Swiftec 12v Pump

AMD 64 3200+ (stock)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum

I was told on Futuremark that I wasted my money going from an Antec 480 to a 550 since the 480 was 'more than enough' for my box. :confused:

yeah the 480 Antec should be enough and that 550 should be plenty!!...its a good quality PSU...

hrm...i dont have one of these cards but this is the first complaint of this nature that I ahve seen...problem is that not a massive number of people have ultras due to the availability issues.... Have you tried getting support from your vendor? Remember you have paid a lot for that card and i dont think your PSU is to blame...RMA it for a replacement? I understand that you will have to wait etc...and its a pain but i guess thats just the way it goes somtimes....i hear good things about BFG support tho to be honest...i think they will sort you out nicely...If the problem persists then you have to look closer to home...

do you have any other general stability issues? are you overclocking the CPU at all? It appears the problem has migrated from one motherboard to another...so i guess its not a mobo related issue...

Do you have TWO dedicated 12v lines connecting to your two 4-pin molex connectors on the video card?

Sounds like your card may have a defect in the power circuitry. Call BFG and let them know. Might want to hold off RMAing it until they have em in stock tho.

tranCendenZ said:
Sounds like your card may have a defect in the power circuitry. Call BFG and let them know. Might want to hold off RMAing it until they have em in stock tho.

I would google know issues with those boards. It could be telling. The power requirements of the card may be exposing weaknesses in the mobo design perameters much like the prescotts did with the so called "prescott ready " boards

MSI makes good stuff for the money however at the level you are at there is no excuse for not using ABIT or ASUS

I have a BFG 6800 Ultra OC, and have never seen that error screen.

PS is a Raidmax 6100E 500w
System specs in Sig.
with additional
CDRW and DVD Rom
Also sporting 4 Cathode fans, and an ELCD screen

you're running a lot of stuff on that PSU. i'd try disconnecting a few non-essential items to see if that fixes the problem. Antec makes good PSUs, but the "True" series can have very droopy rails if you put too much of a load on them.

nope, not yet.. and i have a 380 watt connected to the ultra right now.

Thank you everyone. I tried two things just now so I will have to wait a week or two to see if anything changed at all. First of all I removed the power to my Cathodes and also the power to my Cool Drive 4. My Raptor is now being passively cooled :( . I also reverted back to v1.1 BIOS on my Neo Platinum since I heard that 1.2, 1.3 gives out AGP problems.

I do have another question though. That picture I posted... is it trying to warn me that my video card is not getting enough juice via the Molex connections or is it implying that my AGP voltage is too low? I would think it was referring to the Molex plugs... but at this point I am confused as all hell.

I am convinced it is a problem with NF3 chip set. I have a BFG6800U water block version and it will not run at default clock speed of 470. But it runs fine on any Intel MB.
I am upgrading my NF3-150 to VIA pro 939 MB and a 3800+ CPU, will see if my under clock problem still persist.
:eek:

Thompson5439 said:
I am convinced it is a problem with NF3 chip set. I have a BFG6800U water block version and it will not run at default clock speed of 470. But it runs fine on any Intel MB.
I am upgrading my NF3-150 to VIA pro 939 MB and a 3800+ CPU, will see if my under clock problem still persist.
:eek:

that would be interesting...2 nvidia products that are incompatible with each other :rolleyes:

rene mauricio said:
I do have another question though. That picture I posted... is it trying to warn me that my video card is not getting enough juice via the Molex connections or is it implying that my AGP voltage is too low? I would think it was referring to the Molex plugs... but at this point I am confused as all hell.

the cards don't draw very much power from the AGP slot, so it has to be referring to the molex connectors.

good luck, hopefully it's a simple fix.

felix88 said:
the cards don't draw very much power from the AGP slot, so it has to be referring to the molex connectors.

See... the thing is that is what I thought too but then I read about a lot of people who contacted BFG only to be told to raise the AGP volts from 1.5V to 1.6V to see if that solved anything. :eek:

i heard in another thread that people that flashed there card with the bios that supposed to be on there, dont get the error any more. check the bios sticker on the card, and then check this bios in the properties area somewhere

btw the reason the bios probably doesn't match the sticker is because the bfg bios isnt reference nvidia and probably not the one the card came from nvidia with, it uses a modified bios for the 425mhz overclock out of box.

See... the thing is that is what I thought too but then I read about a lot of people who contacted BFG only to be told to raise the AGP volts from 1.5V to 1.6V to see if that solved anything.

Yea, I was getting artifacting from the get go with my BFG 6800 GT, and BFG tech support told me to up the AGP voltage to 1.6 and to disable fast writes. Still didn't help, I was getting artifacting even on the desktop. I tried to play a game and it was a joke.

I RMA'd the card and hopefully I'll get a replacement within a week or two. Damn thing better not have any problems. I know that the motherboard was okay because I put in a crap old Radeon 8500 and I have no artifacting whatsoever.

Back