How many amps required for....

hcforde

Gawd
I have an interesting situation I purchased a 750TX Corsair for a Crossfire setup of 2 - 2gb 5870 cards then decided to purchase a card for Physx. I will be using an i7-860 CPU and may be overclocking the cards as well as the CPU. My Nvidia card I ordered is the new GTX460which is mildly overclocked from the factory but has more room to go. How much it will need tobe overclocked if at all is still a mystery. I have 2 ways to go here, add a second smaller psu for the Nvidia card only. ( yes I know how to combine two PSU's so that is not an issue)

How many amps do mid-range video cards draw? I have a new, in the box, Antec Basiq 350 Watt sitting here (cause I got it cheap). I know the wattage is more than enough. I could probably get by with even a 250Watt older PSU but I just do not know how much amps are required.

The other way of course is get a bigger main PSU. I will be building this machine up in the next couple of days, hopefully. The GTX460 gets her on Friday (Supposedly, from Newegg)

Thanks

I have an interesting situation I purchased a 750TX Corsair for a Crossfire setup of 2 - 2gb 5870 cards then decided to purchase a card for Physx. I will be using an i7-860 CPU and may be overclocking the cards as well as the CPU. My Nvidia card I ordered is the new GTX460which is mildly overclocked from the factory but has more room to go. How much it will need tobe overclocked if at all is still a mystery. I have 2 ways to go here, add a second smaller psu for the Nvidia card only. ( yes I know how to combine two PSU's so that is not an issue)

How many amps do mid-range video cards draw? I have a new, in the box, Antec Basiq 350 Watt sitting here (cause I got it cheap). I know the wattage is more than enough. I could probably get by with even a 250Watt older PSU but I just do not know how much amps are required.

The other way of course is get a bigger main PSU. I will be building this machine up in the next couple of days, hopefully. The GTX460 gets her on Friday (Supposedly, from Newegg)

Thanks
You don't need to worry about it as all your GTX460 is going to do is idle. nVidia automatically shuts down Physx when it detects a non-nVidia GPU.:(

I just decided to get a Corsair 850TX; took back the 750TX. This should save me a little headache and worry. GTX 460 WILL arrive tomorrow, finally.

I just decided to get a Corsair 850TX; took back the 750TX. This should save me a little headache and worry. GTX 460 WILL arrive tomorrow, finally.
Excellent! CONGRATS! You shouldn't have any power problems for a long time to come.

Back