How loud are Shuttle barebone systems?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have always wanted to use one of these PCs for a server. Anyway, some recent events (including a broken laptop) have really pushed me to get one NOW because I need a new PC that I can use in the mean time while this visitor is staying in my room and I can't touch my PC (and I am an addict you know). Anyway, this will be an iTunes/web/FTP/Windows share server so it doesn't need to be that great. I pretty much decided on getting one that supports an Athlon XP because of their cheapness.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...6-101-216&catalog=3&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

I am looking at the above and probably a 1700+ CPU. I have heard that these PCs get hot but does that mean that the fans are overworked and are loud too? This PC will be on 24/7 and probably in my room so I need something quiet. All the fans in my PC are like 24db or below. Quietness always took precedence over overclockability.

They aren't loud at all. They only have one 80mm fan, and it's quite, along with a quite PSU.

Originally posted by djnes
They aren't loud at all. They only have one 80mm fan, and it's quite, along with a quite PSU.
Cool. Was is the model that I pointed out? I am sure some of the newer chipsets get hotter then the older ones like the one I pointed out so I think that the older ones may have a quiet fan while the newer ones may require more air circulation.

phatal... this is not a b/s/t forum last time I checked.

I'm kind of interested in building one of these after my main rig is completed. What kind of performance can you get out of these little guys? The only thing I'm copncerned about is the fact that they only carry 250 watt PSUs in the most high performance intel system, and somehow I doubt they take ATX PSUs.

I found the stock fan on the SN41G2 to be a little loud (the Sunon fan). I just replaced it with a Panaflo H1A on a zalman rheostat and it's great. Now the PSU is the loudest part. I've been told that the 250W is actually quieter than the 200W so I might be getting that next.

The 250W can drive everything you can stuff into the case. I'm running the machine in my sig off of a 200W. I get great performance off my little box. It's benchmarking within 5% of my desktop that had an A7N8X with the same proc, ram, hd, and vid card.

I have the SN45G that I use as an HTPC. I found the stock fan to not be too loud yet loud enough to start annoying me despite the TV covering up most of the noise. I just removed the grill in the back (be careful not to remove the four mounting holes... oops :( ) and then stuck a Vantec Stealth on the outside of the PC. The noise dropped a lot by doing this and now I barely notice it. My temps are the same as they were - about 41C idle more or less. I don't think I've ever gone over 50C load and I do multi-day DivX encoding sessions.

I found the stock fan on the SN45G really loud and annoying. Then again, I usually don't have music on and nothing else on in my room. The panaflo is also loud for my tastes, I think that I'm going to run out to grab a SilenX when I get the chance.

I'm not too sure about the SK41G, though. I suggest checking on Sudhian, more knowledgeable about shuttles there

If it's just going to be a server or windows machine, you might even want to look into one of the older shuttles and save yourself some money. =) A lower clockspeed will also help temperatures, and keep fans running as slow as possible.

Otherwise, the little guy is great.
I've replaced the sunon fan with a coolermaster Blue LED, took of the northbridge fan too and put blue LED's on that one as well. Took out the PSU, and got the new SilentX, and YES it is quieter. Then got the CoolView clear case and promtly mounted CC fan grills over the holes and added 4 blue CCs on the inside. :D

Still working on all the wiring though, trying to make it neat and tidy....but damn...this thing is like a freakin UFO and lights up the whole room at night.

I have the SK41G and its quiet enough for me. The system is about 2 feet from my head and I hardly notice it if at all. When the fan speeds up it does gets a little loud but that very rarely happened when I didn't have a video card and would only speed up for a few moments before going back to normal.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just ordered the one that was linked to. Instead of going with the other model (which most people seemed to have), I just stuck with this one beause it was the cheapest and I am not really worried about the crappy chipset. I guess I will find out how loud it is when it comes but I doubt it could be much different then the ones commented on. It will just be a Window/Unix server. With the addition of iTunes, they have really swayed me into making it a Windows server rather than any Unix like OS.

My SN41G2 is pretty quiet unless it gets over 52°C, then it starts getting noisy, but tolerable. Going to replace fan with some SilentX's.

Originally posted by KingPariah777
Chill out

Seriously. I was offering him a CPU. Should I've posted a new thread in For Sale/Trade forum Just to sell one person a CPU which he probably won't see?

Idiot.
Damn Nazi.

Back