• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how loud are hard drives?

stealthy123

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,149
I have been having problems with my pc for a while, and really it all started when I turned my tower on its side to see if it fit somewhere. Up until that point I never really ran the computer with the side door off and no loud fans running. I hear clicking I would say equal to about the sound of lightly tapping a key on a pain of glass. very audible but not loud in a relative sense. The computer randomly restarts and sometimes it won't even boot up, If I disconnect the sata connector from the mobo it seems to always boot up. with the drive plugged in its a crap shoot. I had made my mind up it was the chipset and that I needed a new mobo but now I am not so sure. the drive is a maxtor diamondmax11 300 gig with 16meg of cache. the mobo is a bfg nforce4 ultra.
you think my hard drive is about to crap the bed?
its been acting like this for months now and I figured it woulda broke completely by now.
could it never get worse than it is now?
I am pretty poor at the moment and if even though I get mad as heck at it I will live with it but I should probably buy a new drive and copy everything over but man that means I gotta shell out for at least 200 gigs just to be able to move all the stuff I already have over.
How long are the warranties on hard drives I bought it off ebay about a year ago.
 
Since it is a maxtor, you can go to maxtor's website and input those model/serial numbers into their website and it will tell you if the warranty is expired or not. I hope you didn't get one of those crappy 1 year warranty drives. If you still have any warranty left, you can call them up and they will probably want to hear the drive noise and finally let you do an advance replacement. Give them a credit card number and they will ship a replacement drive out to you first. Hope that you can boot up the drive somehow and copy your data over. It sounds like it is on it's last legs. If the clicking sound is regular in beat, then yeah, it is dead or nearly since it sounds like you can boot it occasionally.
 
Back
Top