How long will Z170/LGA-1151 last? or go Skylake-X in 2H 2017?

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I was curious how long socket Z170/LGA-1151 socket will last?
For example, say I upgraded now to z170 for sh*ts and gigs, how long would it support new processors before requiring another upgrade? Kaby lake -> Cannon Lake? so a couple years?

or should I wait for an upgrade on the new Skylake-x in 2H 2017 on LGA 2066 (replacing current 2011-v3 / x99)? I think Kaby-x will only be 4 cores

I primarily use my PC for gaming / internet browsing. I know the new thing will be DX12 which I believe games would start using >4 cores right? So wouldn't it make sense to start moving to >4 cores especially with the die shrinks coming which will increase clocks?

What do you think?

It'll last through Kaby Lake, but expect Coffee Lake to require a new socket.

Frankly, if you want more cores, might as well go Broadwell-E now (though that platform is a dead end), Skylake-X isn't coming until late q3/early q4. For pure gaming, a high clocked 6700K (and soon, 7700K) will be the way to go.

I would not go broadwell e at this point. I might as well wait for Skylake e but if the clocks aren't going to be near my 4790k at 4.8ghz then it wouldn't be an upgrade I don't think. I mostly game so I need the clock speed but want more cores for the future since it should eventually be useful for games.

I was curious how long socket Z170/LGA-1151 socket will last?
For example, say I upgraded now to z170 for sh*ts and gigs, how long would it support new processors before requiring another upgrade? Kaby lake -> Cannon Lake? so a couple years?

or should I wait for an upgrade on the new Skylake-x in 2H 2017 on LGA 2066 (replacing current 2011-v3 / x99)? I think Kaby-x will only be 4 cores

I primarily use my PC for gaming / internet browsing. I know the new thing will be DX12 which I believe games would start using >4 cores right? So wouldn't it make sense to start moving to >4 cores especially with the die shrinks coming which will increase clocks?

What do you think?

mainstream Coffee lake won't be more than 4 cores. Don't trust anyone who says otherwise.

Well, I am just saying the word is there will be 6 core Coffee lakes. I have seen other things too in other articles stating same but I am lazy.

The other option is Zen with 8 cores 16 threads. Pricing/performance and if will it do what you want with gaming is the question. I have an I7 6700K and it does not blow me away on multi-tasking stuff such as rendering. In a nutshell it is not really that more powerful in rendering then my rather old FX 9590. Still a good processor but not a leap above on some of the stuff I do or want to do. I am also interested in Skylake X and would be looking at a 8 core plus solution there.

Well, I am just saying the word is there will be 6 core Coffee lakes. I have seen other things too in other articles stating same but I am lazy.
I would be rather happy with a 6 core Coffee lake with no GPU (wasted space). Still will be more enticed with an 8 core or above solution.

I would be rather happy with a 6 core Coffee lake with no GPU (wasted space). Still will be more enticed with an 8 core or above solution.

Coffee Lake contains GT2. Even if you dont use the IGP. See it as dark silicon that helps cool your chip.

Everyone and their dogs have said this about every launch of a new intel arch. Intel isn't going to give us more cores if they don't have to. and there are plenty of people buying their quads.

No, they haven't. More to the point, there has never been a leaked roadmap from Intel suggesting a hex core pre-Coffee Lake mainstream processor.

If coffee lake "may" be 6 core then likely it'll be a new socket. Skylake has been out a year and Kaby lake will run until sometime in 2018 when coffee lake is released therefore if I upgraded to Kaby lake then that socket would likely be end of life in 1 F'ing year! This pisses me off with all these socket and chipset changes requiring new motherboards every GD time.

At least Zen will be AM4 and would allow a Zen+ upgrade at some point and likely whatever comes after that.

Maybe f*ck it and build 2 rigs.

Rig #1 : Latest and greatest 4c/8t (6700K, 7700K, etc.)
Rig #2 : Dual socket based on the fastest E5 Xeon you can get with the most cores at the lowest price

That's what I ended up doing. Stuff that's compute intensive generally scales well in parallel, so that gets run on rig #2.
Rig #1 focuses exclusively on highest ST performance with a decent amount of cores/threads.

I'll just wait and see what Zen is like. If it's not much of an upgrade from my 4790k when I'll wait 6 more months for Skylake X.

If coffee lake "may" be 6 core then likely it'll be a new socket. Skylake has been out a year and Kaby lake will run until sometime in 2018 when coffee lake is released therefore if I upgraded to Kaby lake then that socket would likely be end of life in 1 F'ing year! This pisses me off with all these socket and chipset changes requiring new motherboards every GD time.

At least Zen will be AM4 and would allow a Zen+ upgrade at some point and likely whatever comes after that.

Wait for LGA-2066, that platform will last three years :p

Do people even upgrade chips within the same socket anymore?

2009 - LGA1156 - Socket H1 - Nehalem/Westmere (H55,P55,H77,Q57)
2011 - LGA1155 - Socket H2 - Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge (H61,B65, Q67,P67,H67,Q67,Z68,B75,Q75,Z75,H77,Q77,Z77)
2013 - LGA1150 - Socket H3 - Haswell/Broadwell/Devils Canyon (H81,B85,Q85,Q87,H87,Z87,Z97,H97)
2015 - LGA1151 - Socket H4 - Skylake/Kaby Lake (H110,B150,Q150,H170,Q170,Z170,Z270,H270,Q270,B250,Q250)

Is it realistic to expect to upgrade within 2 years for such small CPU improvements?
You seem to get 1 extra year on the high end but that still seems kind of quick given the slow advancements.

2011 - LGA2011 - Socket R - Sandy Bridge-E/Ivy Bridge-E (X79)
2014 - LGA2011-3 - Socket R3 - Haswell-E/Broadwell-E (X99)
2017 - LGA2066 - Socket R4 - Skylake X/Kaby Lake-X (X299)

Wait for LGA-2066, that platform will last three years :p

Back