How long will my power supply hold up?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just wondering how long I will be able to keep my Antec Neopower 480 when future stuff starts coming out like dx10 cards and new cpu's and stuff. I know its only 480 watts but, it's got 18v and 18v on the dual 12v rails. I was just wondering if this vid card will hold up and if so how long.

Depends on what you put in your system.. If you are only running a couple of hd's, 1dvd drive and 1 single gpu video card, a couple of typical case fans, and don't oc in an obscene manner, your psu will likely be fine for a while...
If you want to run highend Crossfire/Sli, 6 hd's in raid 0-5, a couple of burners, an x-fi, a phys-x card, a watercooling setup you will prolly run into problems..

I would only be running prolly 2 hdd's a high end video card overclocked of course, a high end cpu overclocked of course, a few case fans. How would it be then you think?

You might want to get a 500w or a 550w PSU. If nothing else, just to accomadate for spikes in power consumption.

I have a 500w Antec SP II and it is doing rather well runing what it is running.

Your PSU is fine for your needs. I run a 450W Antec with an Athlon X2 3800+ OC@ 2,4 GHz, Radeon X1900XT (power hungry) and two hds, and a burner. No problems. Only if you consider a SLI or Xfire setup should you consider upgrading. If you can get 36 Amps on the 12 rails combined, you are good.

I was running 8 hard drives, DVD burner, 7800GS CO Superclocked, 1 large case fan and 2 smaller ones on my 480watt Antec. No problems at all. I upgraded to a 550watt Antec recently since I sold the 400watt Antec from my HTPC and moved the 480 to it..

The 480w Neo should power most single card setups with ease. Now I say "most" for a reason-R600 is rumored to draw up to 300w at load.

If in the future I need to get a more powerful powersupply, what would be a good one for around a $100 or so?

Dutt1113 said:
If in the future I need to get a more powerful powersupply, what would be a good one for around a $100 or so?

it's hard to say, as I can't see the future, and prices go down all the time. 1KW PSU's may be $100 in a year or so.

Back