• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how long will a 6800 last ?

Friendlypirate80

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
318
im thinking of getting a 6800 geforce video card how long do you think that card will last for gaming you think i can play quake 4 and unreal 2007 when they come out on it ?
 
Well the only reason why I wouldn't touch a 7800 right now is because I'm still waiting on ATi's offering, and since I have a card that can play any game..I'm content right now.

Anyways the 6800GT should last you up until 2007 comes out. UT2k7 will require much more powerfull hardware and that would be the only time I would consider upgrading my own rig.
 
To be honest, I wouldn't even thinkg of a 6800. If you could I would try raising a few more funds and going with either a 6800gt or 850XT. Are you AGP or PCI-E?
 
6800GT or X800XL would be a good buy, up until you have to sell them and raise funds for a next gen GPU to play UT2k7.
 
years, sm 3.0 will help it's life span. ati doesn't have it on it's current generation. simple as it gets, years. people still game on fx 5200s.
 
its PCI -E i think i will go 6800 gt

im trying ot build a gaming rig that will at least last 3 years it doesnt have to run at super high resoultions either i usally game at 1024x768
 
TheJackal said:
years, sm 3.0 will help it's life span. ati doesn't have it on it's current generation. simple as it gets, years. people still game on fx 5200s.

The 6800GT has terrible SM3.0 support and it doesn't look at all better than SM2.0b, also the 6800GT loses alot of FPS when HDR is enabled, FYI.

OH and I personally sold a crappy old FX5200U and bought a shiny 9800PRO(loved that card so much). The FX series was crap and still is crap and a giant flaming pile of crap. It was a godamn disaster with terrible drivers, and poor image quality.

Point out one person who is playing HL2 with a damn 5200.
 
im thinking of getting a crappy 6600 256 mb geforce card for like 120 bucks and using that for a year and go dual core then upgrade what do you guys think ?
 
6600GT should play most games fine. Sell it when the time comes and purchase a spankin new next gen VPU.
 
BloodRayne said:
Point out one person who is playing HL2 with a damn 5200.

Not trying to be a smartass, but the FX series actually runs HL2 pretty damn well, since they run it in dx8.1 mode. (which nv3x doesn't suck at) I played through HL2 on my old 5950U at max everything 4xAA 1024 x 768, and it was running about 100fps. Now if you were to force dx9 mode on them, then all hell would break loose...
 
Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Case W/
450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 Power Supply 109.00

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Venice 939 190.00
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra 106.00
A-DATA 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) 95.84
A-DATA 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) 95.84
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB 16MB 7200 RPM SATA 133.00
NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" 8.49
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A 44.99
Leadtek TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-E 159.99

Total 943.15

ok this is going to be my build i will run that card as long as i can then hopefually there will be 7800's out and i will upgrade to that

i also got 2 gigs of ram and a nice fast hardrive :)

what do you guys think ? also would this be a good monitor for gaming and maybe later on a 7800 gt?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002248
 
Don't do Epox. You might consider a SLI board for future upgrades from the likes of Asus, Abit, or MSI (the new reviews look very promising).

That monitor is terrible - lol. Go on ebay and buy from one of the large volume sellers. You can get a FLAT 19" for about $110. For $179, you can get an LCD, for God's sake.

Some people are big fans of Leadtek. I'm not impressed yet, but they do make one hell of a hsf. For support reasons, I'd lean towards BFG or XFX.
 
BloodRayne said:
The 6800GT has terrible SM3.0 support and it doesn't look at all better than SM2.0b, also the 6800GT loses alot of FPS when HDR is enabled, FYI.
SM3.0, HDR, Soft shadows, and all that other crap are seprate things. One does not require the other. You can have a SM2.0 card and still do hdr if your card supports it. I blame the fact that so many people think they are the same thing on reviewers. They tend to bunch those benchmarks that include those extra features together because those are all considered the way of the future. As far as I know the sm3.0 support on the 6800 is just as good as that of the 7800. Benchmarks from games like splinter cell and farcry prove that the 6800's gain fps by moveing from shader models 1 & 2 to 3.
 
DNA Doc said:
Don't do Epox. You might consider a SLI board for future upgrades from the likes of Asus, Abit, or MSI (the new reviews look very promising).

That monitor is terrible - lol. Go on ebay and buy from one of the large volume sellers. You can get a FLAT 19" for about $110. For $179, you can get an LCD, for God's sake.

Some people are big fans of Leadtek. I'm not impressed yet, but they do make one hell of a hsf. For support reasons, I'd lean towards BFG or XFX.

I agree, I would stay away from Epox mobo wise.

Get rid of that expensive CRT...thinking about upgrading to a LCD?

Also add eVGA to the list, they now offer lifetime warranties as well as techinical support on all their cards.
 
Friendlypirate80 said:
im thinking of getting a 6800 geforce video card how long do you think that card will last for gaming you think i can play quake 4 and unreal 2007 when they come out on it ?

There's a couple aspects to look at on the video cards today (sweeping generalization)
1. shader power (eyecandy)
2. memory bandwidth (resolution)

I run a 6800 on an xp-m and a 6800GT on a 3400+ hammer

In general, the unlocked 6800 and 6800GT are indistinguisable in performance up to 1024x768, and at 1280x1024 without aa/af sometimes too.

Consider also, that the 9700 can play modern games quite well, and that card is 3 years old now. The jump in card power from then to now has been insane as compared to previous jumps, especially in memory bandwidth. Now the 6800 has 700MHz memory as oppossed to the gt's 1000MHz memory, and 70-75% of the shading power, unless it's unlocked netting you almost equal shading power - 325MHz vs 350 - oooohhhh

at that point, you're talking resolution playing the big performance splitter for em. i oced my memory to 770 where it's stable and gives no errors - doom3, mark05, and morrowind (i think this game is the most sensitive i've played to test ocing video memory, walls flicker when too fast before any other game/bench i've tried) all fine.

The the 6800GT manages to pull ahead most of the time (duh) though, most of the time the difference is small, since i'm limited to 1280x1024. You do get to pile on more AA though and the frame rate would stay playable longer, but for most games, It's just fine. The big loss is the 128MB memory as oppossed to the 256MB memory in the GT. That causes poor performance if textures are too much. once you drop the texture level a notch at that point, it's smooth once more.

imo, the 6800 is a better buy, since you can find sales dropping it to $150-$160 at times, and if you're not stricken with horrible luck, you can unlock it to 16/6 pipelines, like the gt version.

If my 6800gt can play those games, i bet my 6800 would too. Just a wee slower as usual.
 
I just built up a new system at about the same pricepoint you are looking at. Here are my specs:

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra Mobo $80
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice $117
Nvidia 6800gt $180 (got it off ebay with a 10% off coupon)
Seagate 200gb HD $65 (ebay $10 off coupon)
4x512 Corsair Value Select $160
Thermalright XP-90 w/ 90mm Zalman $31
Zalman VF700-CU $32
NEC ND3540a $43
Floppy $8
Skyhawk Aluminium Lian Li Knock off case $18
Thermaltake TT-420AD PSU $36

Total $770

I have this rig overclocked to 2.5 ghz and it runs everything I throw at it beautifully.
 
Friendlypirate80 said:
Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Case W/
450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 Power Supply 109.00

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Venice 939 190.00
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra 106.00
A-DATA 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) 95.84
A-DATA 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) 95.84
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B300S0 300GB 16MB 7200 RPM SATA 133.00
NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" 8.49
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A 44.99
Leadtek TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-E 159.99

Total 943.15

ok this is going to be my build i will run that card as long as i can then hopefually there will be 7800's out and i will upgrade to that

i also got 2 gigs of ram and a nice fast hardrive :)

what do you guys think ? also would this be a good monitor for gaming and maybe later on a 7800 gt?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002248

As the others said, I would stay away from Epox for the motherboard and drop the CRT in favor of an LCD. Your memory selection is horrible. That memory has slow timings and only has a two year warranty, it is also not dual-channel tested. If you want memory that is cheap go with a 2GB dual channel kit(2x1GB) of Corsair or OCZ value series. I would really recommend something better like a 2GB dual channel kit(2x1GB) of Corsair XMS, or OCZ Performance Series. Believe me, the memory manufacturer makes a big difference, and Corsair and OCZ offer lifetime warranties and are very good about honoring them.
 
NO, don't get that Epox motherboard (I'm not sure if the 6600GT will interfere, but be warned..) because it looks like you're gonna use SATA, it will give you problems...

EPoX_SATAblock.jpg

Video card is a Gigabyte GeForce FX 5900XT
This is an Epox 9NDA3J but still has the same place as the 9NDA3+


EDIT: Terribly sorry... wrong board, you're all good to go lol
(Thought the 9NDA series were PCI-E, until I remembered that the 5900XT is not PCI-E lol)
 
I said I was talking about the wrong board. The one I was talking about was the AGP version of the Epox 9 series.

And that depends on what you want, a LCD or CRT. And what kind of budget you're on
 
Friendlypirate80 said:
how can the epox board be bad it got a gold award at amandetech ?

also what monitor would you guys recomend ?
werd they arent that bad....they hav everything u need for much less ;)
 
Samsung makes a nice 19" CRT for not much that more than your 179. And I think their flat.

Looking for linkage........................... :eek:

Some Best Buys even carry 'em....

I had it written down *&&*^*%%$$$&
 
Point out one person who is playing HL2 with a damn 5200.


My friend down the road up until a few months ago...it was ok, nothing spectacular, but you can do it. I've got another friend running cs:s on an fx5200, what's your point?
 
While waiting for funds to surface to purchase my 6600gt pcie, I played all the way through HL2 on a GEFORCE 2 PCI because the game was so good I couldn't wait for better graphics. Granted it looked like ass but it ran it farely well, due to all the dx9 features being absent.
 
Friendlypirate80 said:
im thinking of getting a 6800 geforce video card how long do you think that card will last for gaming you think i can play quake 4 and unreal 2007 when they come out on it ?


It depends on if you buy that super duper 213921 x 9238 SONIC HDTV resolution monitor comming out next year.
 
wrangler said:
Samsung makes a nice 19" CRT for not much that more than your 179. And I think their flat.

Looking for linkage........................... :eek:

Some Best Buys even carry 'em....

I had it written down *&&*^*%%$$$&
Is it the 997DF? It's getting increasingly difficult to find that monitor (it probably has been discontinued). I bought one back in January for next year when I build myself a secondary system (I predict that, by then, finding CRT monitors for retail will be next to impossible because all that will be available will be overpriced and underperforming LCD's).

To the OP, If you can find one, I would strongly recomend it (it is an awsome monitor for the price).
 
BloodRayne said:
The 6800GT has terrible SM3.0 support and it doesn't look at all better than SM2.0b, also the 6800GT loses alot of FPS when HDR is enabled, FYI.

OH and I personally sold a crappy old FX5200U and bought a shiny 9800PRO(loved that card so much). The FX series was crap and still is crap and a giant flaming pile of crap. It was a godamn disaster with terrible drivers, and poor image quality.

Point out one person who is playing HL2 with a damn 5200.

me, and it gets around 70fps 800x600 on an xp2500, downs to 50 at 1024x768 all settings medium, not too shabby for a 40$ card (CND)
 
I guess It would be about 3 years before some new games would require something stronger that a 6800NU. By "require" I mean a new game won't let you even install it because your 6800 is teh suck. It really depends on how willing you are to turn down settings over time cause currently all you really need are programable shaders and they have been around at least 4 years
 
If you look at that Steam survey you will see the consumer type cards at the top. Which are the 9600, 9200 and 5200, which are the cards that are sold on the shelves in most retail stores (Staples, Office Depot, BB, CC)
 
Back
Top