• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

how long to format 500 gig?

CompilerDude

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
109
So I have installed a SATA controller and 2 250GB drives. I am running this utility SATARaid to set up the raid set. I click finish and it says to wait for the window to disappear which may take some time. It has been over 9 hours. I am not sure what it is doing. I thought it may be formatting the drives... but I have no lights to tell me what is going on. What should I do?
 
hahaha 9 hours jesus.

I'm sorry I don't know the answere, never had drives taht big, I do know for a fact something is wrong however.
 
my advice is start formatting before you go to bed, go to sleep and than when you wake up maybe it will be done. hehe i wouldnt sit around and wait for it.
 
if youre formatting using the windows cd, use quick format. it takes about 15 secs on regular drives (40-100gb ive used). it shouldnt take much longer on 500gbs.

use partition magic. that takes only a few seconds on any drive.
 
Has it finished yet? How long did it take?

I've always used Partition Magic on any of my raid volumes.

QM
 
I've got a 480 GB raid 5 setup, and from my personal experience it takes a looooooong time to format the drive initally. Unfortunatly, I didn't time it, but I actually did what someone else already sugested in this thread - I went to bed and it was done in the morning.....


Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
 
Back
Top